Modding a new PSP

I'm thinking of getting a new PSP (slim). I have a DS with a card but the emulation isn't there just yet.

Black Knight gave a few of us these instructions:

1) Download the Pandora Battery tool- you need the hacked PSP to make this battery.

2) Download the Universal Unbricker and put the stuff on the memory stick. Then run the application on the hacked PSP.

3) Put the memory stick with the Universal Unbricker stuff and the Pandora Battery into your new Slim PSP while turned off.

4) Turn it on, and follow the prompts.

Once you've made the stuff with a hacked PSP you can use it to downgrade and PSP, any firmware. You can find the links yourself- do a search. From this point on everyone needs to get back on topic. Ask downgrading questions in their own thread please.

I was wondering if someone who's done this process can go into a little further detail (not links) about the process. For instance, what is the Pandora tool and what does it do?

Edited by Stryker412

I don't even have a PSP so I don't care either way.. but why when people ask about modding a PSP, are they always directed towards guides that specify you need an already hacked PSP to start off? Wtf!

Is there no way to just hack one by itself? I was thinking about getting one myself.

I don't even have a PSP so I don't care either way.. but why when people ask about modding a PSP, are they always directed towards guides that specify you need an already hacked PSP to start off? Wtf!

Is there no way to just hack one by itself? I was thinking about getting one myself.

I was thinking the same, where the hell am I going to find a hacked psp around here. :D

Hacked ones are rare, there has to be another way.

The first modded PSP couldn't have been hacked with someone else's modded PSP, it doesn't add up.

You probably need a interface for the battery to load the hack directly from a pc. That's how the first one probably started.

Hacked ones are rare, there has to be another way.

The first modded PSP couldn't have been hacked with someone else's modded PSP, it doesn't add up.

Newer PSPs require Pandora's battery to mod. The only way to make one is to buy one, or make one yourself using a hacked PSP. Older PSPs didn't need all this... so it wasn't always this way, no. It is just that the older, easier, ways to hack the machine have been closed by Sony in the newer firmwares come in the box now.

Some only required a certain game or a certain exploit to fully mod... did you know the first shipment of Jap and US PSPs were practically already modded out of the box? They could run whatever you liked without needing to be hacked at all.

• 2 months later...

I'm finally getting one today, I've had gift cards just collecting dust. I managed to get an 8GB SanDisk II yesterday from Amazon for $60.

If you modify the firmware does it effect any of the PSP features (like online play or remote play)? Will they ban you from online like Live?