SPOILED UNDER-30 CROWD!

James

If you are 30 or older you will think this is hilarious!!!!

When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears

with their tedious diatribes about how hard things were

when they were growing up; what with walking

twenty-five miles to school every morning ... uphill BOTH ways

yadda, yadda, yadda

And I remember promising myself that when I grew up,

there was no way in hell I was go ing to lay

a bunch of crap like that on kids about how hard I had it

and how easy they've got it!

But now that... I'm over the ripe old age of

thirty, I can't help but look around and notice the youth of today.

You've got it so easy! I mean, compared to my

childhood, you live in a damn Utopia!

And I hate to say it but you kids today you

don't know how good you've got it!

I mean, when I was a kid we didn't have The

Internet . If we wanted to know something,

we had to go to the damn library and

look it up ourselves, in the card catalog!!

There was no email!! We had to actually write

somebody a letter .with a pen!

Then you had to walk all the way across the street and

put it in the mailbox and it would take like a week to get there!

There were no MP3's or Napsters! You wanted to

steal music, you had to hitchhike to the damn record store and shoplift it yourself!

Or you had to wait around all day to tape it off the radio and the DJ'd usua lly talk over the

beginning and @#*% it all up!

We didn't have fancy crap like Call Waiting! If you

were on the phone and somebody else called they got a busy signal, that's it!

And we didn't have fancy Caller ID Boxes either!

When the phone rang, you had no idea who it was!

It could be your school, your mom, your boss, your bookie, your drug dealer,

a collections agent, you just didn't know!!!

You had to pick it up and take your chances, mister!

We didn't have any fancy Sony Playstation video games with high-resolution 3-D graphics!

We had the Atari 2600!

With games like 'Space Invaders' and 'asteroids'. Your guy was a little square!

You actually had to use your imagination! !

And there were no multiple levels or screens, it was just one screen forever!

And you could never win.

The game just kept getting harder and harder and faster and faster until you died!

Just like LIFE!

When you went to the movie theater there no such thing as stadium seating!

All the seats were the same height!

If a tall guy or some old broad with a hat sat in front of you and you couldn't see,

you were just screwed!

Sure, we had cable television, but back then that

was only like 15 channels

and there was no on screen menu and no remote control!

You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on!

You were screwed when it came to channel surfing!

You had to get off your ass and walk over to the TV to change the

channel and there was no Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons

on Saturday Morning. Do you hear what I'm saying!?!

We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons, you spoiled little rat-bastards!

And we didn't have microwaves, if we wanted to heat

something up we had to use the stove or go build a frigging fire .. imagine that!

If we wanted popcorn, we had to use that stupid Jiffy Pop thing

and shake it over the stove forever like an idiot.

That's exactly what I'm talking about!

You kids today have got it too easy.

You're spoiled.

You guys wouldn't have lasted five minutes back in 1980!

Regards,

The over 30 Crowd

Superbly hilarious. And for the record I'm 19.

Looks like someone's having trouble adjusting to today's age.

Yes, we have got it easier, what will all these gadgets and whatnot. Deal with it! You make the most with what you've got and as long as you've had fun while doing it, it's all that matters :)

Yes, you guys didn't have these conveniences. But you do have those things now. Instead of complaining about them, go do 'em now before you get too old and miss out. Stop acting like these things are only available to the under 30 crowd or something. You're only as old as you feel anyway.

So what if your guy was a little square on the 2600. Doesn't make the game any less enjoyable with the right mindset. You guys had it good. You were there at the dawn of gamekind. I wish I could've been there and grabbed all the latest Commodore and NES games. Sure I can get them off the internet but I'm a pretentious bastard and I want perfect dumps :P

It's useless feeling annoyed that you didn't have those things back in your childhood. Why? Because that's life, and it's an unchangeable fact. New things will constantly be created even when the youth of today is old. But we won't complain, and you know why? Because we'll be right there trying 'em too, regardless of age.

Yes, we have got it easier, what will all these gadgets and whatnot. Deal with it! You make the most with what you've got and as long as you've had fun while doing it, it's all that matters :)

Yes, you guys didn't have these conveniences. But you do have those things now. Instead of complaining about them, go do 'em now before you get too old and miss out. Stop acting like these things are only available to the under 30 crowd or something. You're only as old as you feel anyway.

So what if your guy was a little square on the 2600. Doesn't make the game any less enjoyable with the right mindset. You guys had it good. You were there at the dawn of gamekind. I wish I could've been there and grabbed all the latest Commodore and NES games. Sure I can get them off the internet but I'm a pretentious bastard and I want perfect dumps :P

It's useless feeling annoyed that you didn't have those things back in your childhood. Why? Because that's life, and it's an unchangeable fact. New things will constantly be created even when the youth of today is old. But we won't complain, and you know why? Because we'll be right there trying 'em too, regardless of age.

It’s meant as humour, read the first line :)

But if you want the topic to be serous, then I will say this, I am happy that my childhood did not have most of the things of today, We were more active and did not hang at home playing on PC's or playing video games all day...

Sure, we had cable television, but back then that

was only like 15 channels

and there was no on screen menu and no remote control!

You had to use a little book called a TV Guide to find out what was on!

You were screwed when it came to channel surfing!

You had to get off your ass and walk over to the TV to change the

channel and there was no Cartoon Network either! You could only get cartoons

on Saturday Morning. Do you hear what I'm saying!?!

We had to wait ALL WEEK for cartoons, you spoiled little rat-bastards!

Man this is so true. Now we have so many channels it is unreal. And with the internet there is even more. You youngins have no idea how could you have it...lol.

I'm adding some to your list :) This is more late 80s early 90s stuff though but the 30 crowd should remember.

"You had to buy magazines to get the latest news on games. With crappy pictures and stupid 'Rad' 'Super Cool' 'Wicked' written all over them."

"No roms, you had to pay 40 bucks for 60k of fun"

"John Romero wanted to make you his biatch!"

"Lite Brite was the best computer screen for your mega robot!"

"You know Ranger Rick!"

"Ultima and Lucasarts games actually ran in your computer. Without patches"

"Vodoo was a good vid card since it had 8MB of RAM"

"You were late for school since you were watching Bowser the Dog on Family channel"

Add more!

Edited by Tynvar

It’s meant as humour, read the first line :)

But if you want the topic to be serous, then I will say this, I am happy that my childhood did not have most of the things of today, We were more active and did not hang at home playing on PC's or playing video games all day...

Oh I wasn't having a go at the post. I'm not angry with it or anything like that. Like I said, very funny read. But all I did was to point out that that's how life goes and you can't really change it. Kids, no matter how you look at it, will never truly appreciate what they've got. We're a very selfish race you see. People can't really prove me wrong.

What has happened, is an atmosphere for creating lazy asses. I am turning 30 this year. My generation is probably one of the last for being raised, is a situation that invokes critical thinking.

No bottled water when you were thirsty, you drank from the hose.

If you couldn't play football, you weren't playing, none of this BS where kids with no ability are playing too.

I can go on and on, but it was survival of the fittest.

There are alot of advantages today, but without critical thinking, how are to use the things readily available. Hell, even I am not at my full potential. All this information at my fingertips, and all I do is play games. Sure I am a skilled tactician now, and a multi tasking, macro managing freak. I know how to secure a room, so on and so forth... but I don't read like I should. I don't go out as much as I used to and I flocking work for myspace now so I don't even have a real job anymore. It's as if I have been tainted. This era of laziness has tempted me, and I am falling. I'm out of shape, and my knowledge is still minimal. I used to draw, but all I do play games, watch movies, and post on this forum. I don't neglect my girl, but I neglect calling my Mom often enough to say hi.

Take this to heart. We are spoiled. Do something with what we have. Research... Learn... Inspire... Expand... GROW... Do not dwindle your time as I have. Before you know it, you'll have lost your youth, and still be no-where. Read a book, go jogging, learn a new dish to cook, draw, use the microwave less... heh. Do what you do, just mix it up. When was the last time I went to the bar, and shot some pool??? Damn, I gotta get on the ball, and if you lived near me, I'd drag you with me to shoot some pool.

Ok... this rant was definitely left at a minimum. But the topic got me thinking about what has been bothering me for awhile now. My own lazy ass self.

Ehh... I'm done.