Piracy hits the Nintendo Virtual console.

fumanchu

i dont even own a wii but wont nintendo release some new firmware update that will make the twighlight hack obselete?

Well, they've had their chance with the last firmware update, and it still works. Maybe the next firmware update will block it. Ultimately, we'll just have to wait and see. :punk:

Nope, won't be blocked by firmware updates, becauseit's a bug in the game code and could only be patched, if they (BigN) rerelease Zelda as a V1.1 like they did with OoT in the N64 era.

Hmm.. off topic, but what did Zelda OoT have in v1.1 that wasn't seen in v1.0?

People could just not upgrade their Wiis. Unless a game like Mario Galaxy showed up and upgraded anyways

Then they would more then likely released cracked firmware updates, or something. Wouldn't surprise me to be honest. Once trucha hit the net, Wii hombrew has been rolling at a amazingly fast speed.

Hmm.. off topic, but what did Zelda OoT have in v1.1 that wasn't seen in v1.0?

I don't know exactly, but IIRC they painted Ganons blood green (from red), fixed two glitches and changed the fire temple music. The V1.0 cartridge was the golden one and all grey were V1.1 or V1.2 (fixed another glitch and changed the sun shield texture).

i dont even own a wii but wont nintendo release some new firmware update that will make the twighlight hack obselete?

Well, they've had their chance with the last firmware update, and it still works. Maybe the next firmware update will block it. Ultimately, we'll just have to wait and see. :)

Nope, won't be blocked by firmware updates, becauseit's a bug in the game code and could only be patched, if they (BigN) rerelease Zelda as a V1.1 like they did with OoT in the N64 era.

What makes you think that? The firmware could very easily patch the game's program file on load, removing the security hole.

On a side note, I finally got my hands on the files and it looks like it'd be easy enough to hack the files to use different ROMs. Hell, the ROM used by the VC title plays just fine on SNES9x

dkq000.png

dkq001.png

dkq002.png

Oh, and I figured out how the archives are laid out. ^^

startup.png

• 2 weeks later...
they'll patch it, people will crack it. Rinse and repeat.

This is my prediction on it.

Most people will say, well I'll just not upgrade my Wiis firmware then I can keep this up. But guess what, I have not proof of this or any data, it's just a hunch. This next patch that fixes the game piracy will add the channel read or storage problem. Many people already have a legitimate VC collection and will want the patch for added storage. Like you said they will patch it, they will crack it, and so on.