Australian retailers consider the 360 dead

According to a recent news channel survey of 10 different Australian video games retailers (with over 2000 stores spread across the continent): "The Xbox 360 is dead. We are stocking it because of our relationship with Microsoft ..." If that's not a big statement to you, just wait, we've got more. The same retailer claims that the other two consoles are succeeding due to the appeal to children/women, and Blu-ray, respectively. They think the 360 brand can't really be redeemed after the RROD, and that the value proposition offered by Microsoft did not seem equal in comparison to the competition.

Furthermore, the Australian retailers are considering dropping the console from stores entirely: "We are stocking it because of our relationship with Microsoft, however all our energy and marketing is going into the PS3 and the Nintendo Wii unless Microsoft come up with something new or additional marketing dollars,." "Halo 3 was big on the Xbox but that was about it." "They have tried discounting and value add offers and even that is not working. We are even thinking of dumping the console all together."

>>Source

I disagree. As someone who still pays attention to the retail channel, at least in the city of Sydney, I think this survey is a bit off.

The shelf space in your average EB Games, JB HiFi or hell even Target devoted to the 360 is always 2-3 times as much as the PS3. That includes games, hardware and accessories. JB HiFi, my favourite retail store, has an entire aisle of 360 software with a similar amount of space being shared amongst PS3, DS and Wii games together. You can walk into their stores at Town Hall, Parramatta or Bankstown to see that the 360 is certainly not 'dead'.

In fact, there is an even bigger difference in the larger chains. K-Mart typically carries only a handful of PS3 titles and a much larger selection of 360 games. I am honestly struggling to think which 'retailers' this misguided article could be referring to.