Gmail Privacy...

I've never been a heavy Gmail user. Their privacy policies (or lack thereof) scare the hell out of me. However, for a free mail provider with huge storage, POP accessibility and an interface that I can't get enough of, I really really want to start using it more...

What privacy advocates also consider problematic is the lack of disclosed data retention and correlation policies. It is possible for Google to combine information contained in a person's emails with information about their Internet searches. It is not known how long such information would be kept, and how it could be used. One of the concerns is that it could be of interest to law enforcement agencies. More than 30 privacy and civil liberties organizations have urged Google to suspend Gmail service until these issues are resolved.[62]

There has also been criticism regarding Gmail's privacy policy,which contains the clause, "Residual copies of deleted messages and accounts may take up to 60 days to be deleted from our active servers and may remain in our offline backup systems." Google continues to reply to this criticism by pointing out that Gmail is using mostly industry-wide practices. Google later stated that they will "make reasonable efforts to remove deleted information from our systems as quickly as is practical."

...anyway what are everyone's thoughts? I suppose using it as my primary mailbox and forwarding stuff to a Gmail account isn't a terribly bright idea?

Ya not the best if you want to send something that you don't want anyone else to see but you and the one you send it too. I have a gmail account but use it rarely. I suggest if you want a true email account that you can trust get on through a hosting site and get yourself a domain name. I have 4 and they have enough space to satisfy all my needs for privacy.

Hell I can give ya one at jitway.net if you want. Say BK or BlackKnight@jitway.net....your call. No skin off my back either way.

I use gmail almost exclusively, I am not doing anything nefarious or really private though. I love it pop3 and better yet imap to my phone and what amounts to endless storage space is worth the trade of google knowing I wished my mom happy birthday or that I am going to the strip club with bros later this week.

I use a GMail account, and another account that seems to be GMail, but with a custom address. I don't really use it for anything aside from newsletters or something, though. I trust that Google won't try to steal my WoW account password or something.

If your isp has one and they are reliable enough you could use that. Gmail was a buzz when it first came out.

Since most give at least 1gb and 10mb per attachment. Hotmail isn't that great they use to opt in customers to share email addy with third parties if you didn't check all the settings.

I heard in the States that private or Gmail email adresses are taken more seriously than the yahoo/hotmail etc

I've been using using Gmail for close to 4 years now and I absolutely love it. It does everything so well and it the design is so clean.

It's actually the interface design that appeals to me the most. I really can't find that anywhere else.

Aye... I use Gmail exclusively. Although, the thought of someone going through my sh!t kinda pisses me off. It wasn't sent to them... (per say) and if I were to view your mail, (snail mail) that is a felony. I never knew this. But it doesn't matter... Unless some big wig steals my Social Security.... As I had my taxes go through it last year.... Thats the problem... Someone with the means, can flock with your crap if they so desire. It just isn't right. I digress though, Ive made my point.