BF2 vs. BF2142

Exp44

I am looking for a new fps to play. I have MOHAA, but that was made ages ago and I'd like to leave the land of the cheaters. My graphics card has the recommended specs to play BF2, and I've been recommended by a friend of mine (who now plays CoD4) to try BF2 because it was his favorite. But I also know that BF2142 is out there, and I've read mixed reviews on different forums about the two. I think it boils down to play BF2 for a modern feel, and play BF2142 for a futuristic feel. I'd rather stick to modern. But if you think there are any other differences I should know about, or if you think I should play a different FPS (don't suggest CoD4, can't play it), please give me your suggestions. Also keep in mind I'd like to play an FPS with an easy learning curve so I don't spend an hour trying to figure out how to play it lol. Thanks.

I don't recomened TF2, because it isn't like TF1/TFC. At all at a slower pace. Fortress Forever is a better game then TF2, it's also free if you own any Source game. (Source SDK is free with any Source game).

BF2 over 2142. Modern setting is much better then the futurestic setting they built up. I do give props for the effort though.

Alright, well I guess that answers it then. Since most people seem to be recommending BF2, I guess that's what I'll go with. One other question I forgot to mention previously. Should I get an expansion pack too? I know Armored Fury is the most recent one that everyone plays, so do I need it? Thanks again.