psx4iphone v0.2.0 released

Robert

PSX emulator for the iPhone and iPod Touch

In part with updating my older projects with the newer firmwares for iPhone/iPod Touch such as 1.1.3 and higher, I have released psx4iphone v0.2.0 publicly.

psx4iphone is a Sony Playstation 1 emulator for the Apple iPhone and iPod Touch. It's a large work in progress type project. It is based on the psx4all project.

You can grab this release from the ZodTTD.com Public Installer.app repo source.

ZodTTD.com on Installer.app download instructions: http://www.zodttd.com/forum/index.php/topic,574.0.html

What's new in v0.2.0:

- Added support to firmwares such as 1.1.3 and 1.1.4.

- Compiled with saurik's new toolchain.

- Fixed the detection of whether frameskipping can be used during certain frames within a game.

- Improved the dynamic recompiler code.

- Moved the BIOS location to /var/(mobile or root depending on firmware)/Media/ROMs/PSX/

This release brings up to 50% more performance than previous releases. Though going from 25 FPS to 37 FPS isn't going to cut it, it's still an improvement. Most games are running at about 20-30 FPS it seems. I'm not quite sure why the iPhone is running psx4all slower than most handhelds of equal or lesser raw CPU power. It may be due to the way the iPhone/iPod Touch clears it's instruction cache via sys_invalidate_icache(...) or it could be due to the read speed of the ISO's. Maybe both. Either way more work has to be done to see whats bottlenecking the iPhone and this application.

Even though the iphone is awesome, it has a great resolution and touch screen. It's not a good platform to run emus on. I have not tried to play a game on an iphone so my opinion is quite worthless on this, but IMO it's quite difficult to play a game on a touchscreen, you can't really play like you would do with a Dpad on ipaqs. But that's just me, anyone tried any emus yet?