Just got an xbox 360, now what?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see. Can you describe what the pennies and electrical tape do? What's this towel trick I've heard about?

the motherboard is not supported well, when the box gets hot it causes the motherboard to sag, which damages the solders on the CPU/GPU. over time causing the red rings of death. the towel trick overheats the box and remelts the solders. Not recommended but it will do in a pinch, the penny fix adds support to the board not allowing it to flex. there is another fix called xclamp that does the same thing as well but cost some money getting parts from the hardware store.

My system RRoDed almost a year ago now, I did the penny fix and have had zero problems with it since. here's a link to the full tut on X-S: http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=606431

well least I'm one of the lucky ones, my 360 is an old unit model that comes with the first Hitachi drive (Hitachi 47d me thinks) and never had RROD or any problems yet. Had it for moar than a few years.

Word, my 360 is also a launch model that I now I hooked up to the net and actually used it. Other times my friends would use it and log on with their accounts.

I see. Can you describe what the pennies and electrical tape do? What's this towel trick I've heard about?

the motherboard is not supported well, when the box gets hot it causes the motherboard to sag, which damages the solders on the CPU/GPU. over time causing the red rings of death. the towel trick overheats the box and remelts the solders. Not recommended but it will do in a pinch, the penny fix adds support to the board not allowing it to flex. there is another fix called xclamp that does the same thing as well but cost some money getting parts from the hardware store.

My system RRoDed almost a year ago now, I did the penny fix and have had zero problems with it since. here's a link to the full tut on X-S: http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=606431

After some thought, im gonna buy an already RRoD Xbox 360 from Ebay, and try it out myself =]

your supposed use an i-xtreme firware on your dvd-drive,think its upto version 1.4.

then you make stealth backups,which is basically a patched backup.xtreme flashed dvd-drives wont play stealth backups,but ixtreme does.

thing is it isnt 100 percent proven that you wont get caught and banned.some people get caught while others just get lucky i suppose,its the chance you take.

Edited by fumanchu