Hello I'm New

SujoBlue

Not sure what to say but I'm new to emulators and all that stuff. I like to work with "flash" type programs and animated gifs like from sega, nintendo, and playstation (i.e. street fighter, darkstalkers, ect.). I was wondering how to get them from a game to the computer. What kind of program are they using?

Also I dont know much about emulators but my friend made a CD along time ago with old Nintendo and Sega games on it and you have to open them with a certain program which was also included on the CD. I wanna learn more on how to get old school games I use to play and how I can get gifs from games onto the computer. Remember i'm a newb and if you use big words i'll prolly stare at the screen trying to understand. :P

Emulators are the programs that you run first and then use to open ROMs (games). Most emulators only emulate a single system and its games, so there are a lot of different ones out there.

To rip sprites and animations you need to first run the game in an emulator, then pause the action, disable unnecessary sprite layers, and then use screen capture to get the frames of animation you want. Rip them all this way (long and tedious, yes) and then assemble them into a gif using your favourite gif making app.

Thank You Just realized after looking around that there was a newbie thread to post this in. :P Oh well... I downloaded a darkstalkers ROM and an emulator but cant get it to work. I'm prolly doin it all wrong. Anyone got a good site to get ROMs and emulators from?

Emulators are the programs that you run first and then use to open ROMs (games). Most emulators only emulate a single system and its games, so there are a lot of different ones out there.

To rip sprites and animations you need to first run the game in an emulator, then pause the action, disable unnecessary sprite layers, and then use screen capture to get the frames of animation you want. Rip them all this way (long and tedious, yes) and then assemble them into a gif using your favourite gif making app.

My god, I can't believe I never thought to disable certain layers. All this time I've been painstakingly removing them after the screen capture. :P

Thank You Just realized after looking around that there was a newbie thread to post this in. :P Oh well... I downloaded a darkstalkers ROM and an emulator but cant get it to work. I'm prolly doin it all wrong. Anyone got a good site to get ROMs and emulators from?

Since possession of commercial ROMs is technically illegal, it is against our board rules to ask where to get them from. Please keep that in mind.

All I can say is make sure your romset is up to date and you're using the latest version of whatever emulator you're going with.