arcades2.0/xbmc pimpedHD!

fumanchu

I agree im actually tinker with the GUI of FBA now a bit, you can teach RX no worries I have no issues with that this has long since got personal and has been personally insulting me so why would I be nice as you have stated. I have actually been nice to him with multiple requests for weeks from people to ban him... alot of long term premium members. The source is small its handed over what more do you want me to do with someone that just had his own agender all along is personally insulting and expects me to help him hand over everything and turn it into something that i have for years personally steered away from.

Edited by BritneysPAIRS

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we're still voting I vote B.

The Xbox scene is entirely based on a few dedicated people standing on the shoulders of better coders and building on their work. If one more person wants to learn then I don't see any benefit in being obstructive.

I dunno about everyone else but I'd rather wait a few more weeks for a release of whatever and have one more developer in the scene since the long-term benefits are far greater for everyone.

BP, it seems to me that what you've done with MAMEoX doesn't seem radically different to what I was doing with FBA-XXX Pro. And it really didn't take me very long at all to get to that stage from knowing absolutely nothing. I just got the right help from the right people. But if those people had responded to me the way you've responded to RX then the project never would have happened.

We need to keep in mind that none of us are big powerful coders here, we're all just porters and tinkerers and we should be helping each other out as much as possible if we don't want what's left of the scene to die.

Thanks man. You don't know how much that means to me, especially coming from an emulator author. I'm really not a bad guy and I love the scene since I got my first XBox in November of 06 and spent the greater part of my free time making it the best damn museum of classic games that it could be. My hat goes off to all the emu authors who have unleashed such potential on this now primitave computer, even BP though we might not get along very well.

Playing Nesticle on my PC was fun back in '97 when my friend first told me there was a way to play all my old Nintendo games on my computer, but nothing beats the experience of playing all of my old favorites and tons I've never even heard about before right on my big screen TV, and also being able to stream all of my media to it to boot (and hopefully I'll get the karaoke thing working on this soon because they've banned smoking at bars around me and I know a lot of people who would come over for the occasional karaoke night if I hosted it :huh: ).

I have a lot of enthusiasm for the MAME project on XBox. A LOT. Until I found Arcades I was disgusted with how complex an emu it was and after months of locating a complete .84 set I was devistated to find how a lot of games didn't work at all and the tons of clones that haven't been removed. I had been working several months on getting a 100% complete compatibility list on PCSXBox before I decided to change it up and make a complete working set for MAME 128 Plus! Along the way, I found arcades and couldn't believe that it had gotten as far as it did. I fell in love with it upon using it and I was thrilled that the author was still actively updating it. Even moreso when I found out he was willing to work with me after all of the work that I had done. I even re-tested all of the games with the latest Arcades build. 2 times testing all of the games took weeks to do. Unfortunately, as is pretty evident now, our personalities kind of clash and we're at where we're at now.

I plan on learing as much as I can about coding this. I've never picked up a book on C++ since '98 or '99 when I had a class or two on it in Junior College. I don't intend to. My mind doesn't work that way. I figure out stuff all the time and in the last month in a half, I've gone from a regular softmodded XBox to a fully fledged debug box and I've also figured out how to remap one of my favorite Williams games from my childhood so it works perfect in MAME. It was Inferno. I(t's really fun 2 players simultaneously, and you should try it if you haven't. Not many games back in '84 were simultaneous.)

I can give you the code change if you want to make a build and try it out. As it is, it's not playable on any MAME on XBox because you have to control movement with the left stick, gun direction with the right stick and press A to fire. Not very fun. I mapped it so whatever direction you press the gun it autofires at the same time. Kind of a primitave "Smash TV".

As for my behavior here, I know some might think it leaves a lot to be desired. The truth is, I'm a very strong willed person by nature, and more importantly, I have quite a bit of downtime at work between babysitting computers and taking care of/preventing disasters. I wouldn't waste my time quibbiling if I didn't enjoy it kind of and espeically if I didn't have the downtime at work. So I won't apologize to anybody. If that's going to get me kicked off of the site, so be it. I hope BP doesn't mean he's going to try to get me banned from XBScene cause that would be pretty lame and I've logged quite a bit of hours over there.

I'd love to talk to you more about your experience. I know I'm really green in the gills at this point, but I'm a quick learner and I'm very enthusiastic about this. I don't know if you were meaning at all that you'd like to maybe show me a few things, but I'd happily oblige if you were to show me a trick or two.

Thanks for the post.

Sincerely,

~Rx

BP, I don't think you should have to hand over any of the code you've worked hard on (heaven knows I kept the FBA-XXX Pro code to myself for long enough), and I have no idea what's been said privately between you two guys so maybe I should just keep quiet, but it does make me uncomfortable to see somebody who clearly wants to contribute to the scene being given such a hard time by pretty much everyone. But anyway, you did ask for a vote and so I voted that's all. :huh:

RX, Emu-tweaker would be more accurate. Much like yourself I saw an existing emu that didn't entirely do everything I wanted it to and so I decided to rejig it slightly to better meet my needs and perhaps the needs of a few other users. Obviously I'd be happy to share anything I've learned that may be of use to you but I have been somewhat spoiled by the FBA code. The only experience I've had with MAME is the old build of MAMEoX I compiled to support the FBA-XXX Pro ROMsets and I found the source a complete nightmare by comparison. I would say BP is definitely the man to go to for any real assistance if he is willing to give it.

Oh n I just took had a quick blast on Inferno... as you say it's a fun game. Didn't need any extra code to play with your controls since I'm still using good old MAMEoX128 Plus and they took literally seconds to set up in the UI. I got rid of all my non-working ROMs, clones, and mahjong games ages ago and whenever I start a game I haven't played before I take a few seconds to configure the controls to my liking. I have to admit that from my point of view I really don't see what this Arcades thing is all about but it's great to see so many people enthusiastic about it.

Good luck to you both. :lol:

I can't believe I've been missing out on this thread, it's like the best and worst of the xbox and mame scenes all rolled up in 18+ pages of lol.

I know my opinion probably doesn't mean sh!t, but here it is:

If the project you are basing your work on is Open Source and it requires that you release your source and you do not intend to ever release yours, you are nothing but a f*cking leech. While the end-users may appreciate your work, the other people who worked hard on the original source are getting f*cked.

I have dealt with FBA builds that do this. It's simply a matter of telling their authors that if they don't release their sources, that they need to remove every bit of my code and that they will be perm-banned from neosource. That usually does it, lol (since they'd have to remove 300+ games, including several of the most popular Neo-Geo ones. ^^ and being banned from NeoSource means that they wouldn't have access to the nice drivers that I, the FBA devs, and several others post on almost a weekly basis. )

Okay, I received some messages regarding this thread. Seeing as how people have been going at it back and fourth, I'm not going to impose a ban or even a warn. What I recommend is for our members to use the built-in "Ignore" feature that is available on our forums.

To ignore a member:

http://www.1emulation.com/forums/index.php...amp;CODE=ignore

OR

Go to "My Controls" and on the bottom left, click on "Manage Ignored Users" under the "Options" box.

the sourcecode for mamedox1.1. was released,a few years ago.

brineyspairs and ebsay were the people behind mamedox.

i cant speak for bs but it seems that mamedox arcades is an ongoing project thats getting updated all the time,so i can understand why he wouldnt want to release the sourcecode.

Edited by fumanchu

i cant speak for bs but it seems that mamedox arcades is an ongoing project thats getting updated all the time,so i can understand why he wouldnt want to release the sourcecode.

It's still appropriate to release the code once-in-a-while. :naughty:

some emu authors dont even release their sourcode. :D

some emu authors dont even release their sourcode. :)

BTW, I noticed fumanchu that you call BritneyPAIRS as BS, whereas everyone else calls him BP. Please use BP for continuity, otherwise I think you may confuse people. :D