Friendship and Life

Ryuken

So i've been thinking. I don't have any good friends or what most people would call a" life" I would go home after school everyday and just download TV shows from Hong Kong, Japan(with sub) and American ones and after i'm done with them i do my homework then play games that's basically all I do everyday. I school i talk to people in class and lunch but after school i have nothing to do. I think i lack social skills since i never have topics that i can talk about with people, I'm just an overall not interesting person. And almost everyone one i know from school just wants to party on the weekend and get drunk/high/"have fun" and I'm not into any of those things. Sometimes i think i make up too many excuses on not having friends when i don't try to make any. so any suggestions on how to improve my social life? btw plz don't bash this since my self-esteem is already pretty low but don't worry, it's not low enough that i would kill myself so u can still poke fun if u want

This is the exact case for me except for the Asian part, and I'm not joking.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, not born in US and grow up there might be a cultural problem. I know that most Asian kids do not like to go partying. They prefer the mangas, comics, games etc etc :clapping:

But seriously, Fatal is giving good advices here. You can try to join the crowd and hang out with them. but this could be very tough.

I also have tough time belnding into the crowd. i always stand out among them (being tall not helping) and have "weird" hobbies (like to draw cartoons, play games when the others are busy partying, tackling girls, or just hanging out). And thagt is during school era. But I did changed when i go to the university. Open up my eyes and mind more and mix with more people (even if they are only from my own race). I ended up doing not so well in my study but brush my social skills and i never regret till this day.

It might be too soon to tell you to try and mix with the crowds and everything. i would say, stay being yourself as long as you are happy. if you are not, join groups or churches that promotes group activities. being more active will help too. This really need a self-push from yourself.

BTW, i also like reading when young besides games, so you cna always hang out in the library. You never know, you might hit with the right people there :P

Partying and drinking is not for everyone so find your own niche group (i am lucky i have found a group who likes to play games here, besides doing "karaoke-ing" :P)

I assume you guys are in high school right? Basically this is what I pretty much did up until sophomore year. I went home and did stuff by myself and whatnot. Come junior year I started getting into other hobbies, sports, and clubs. As a result I met a lot more people with similar interests and I began to develop more "real" friends over the year. Sure we'd go to my house and play video games and other stuff, but doing these activities with friends is what sets it apart from doing stuff by yourself. Highschool pretty much sucked, but hanging out with other kids every other day was the redeeming factor. Once you get into college you'll be with friends pretty much every time you are free.

Let's hope that college life will be better, o did i mention that i'm only 5'5 so everyone is like taller than me and me face break out easily :clapping: i guess i should spend more of my time studying and live a better life in the 30's-40s

I' m 17. not the only Asian kid around but the only not born in the US so i guess cultural differences have an effect on me. People asked me to go to parties before but i don't like going so they stop asking.

Anyway do u guys think friendship is important in life? And is it really needed to function properly? btw thx for the advises so far

No offense, but now you're sounding like an alien or something. Friendships are one of the most important things in my life. Do like I do, join something like band or choir or drama. You'll definitely find someone with similar interests in common activities. Then just hang around a person you like.

Shoma's gonna be real for a just a second...(no yosha bs)

When i was young, i quickly learned how to be a loner and wasnt in depression. However i felt, i wrote down in my journal thus explains my luv for writing.

I hav "friends", lots who i am very "chum" with but none on a level where i would call them my true friends.

I have alot of flirters (girls) but none who i feel are worthwhile gfs..

My sis insults me alot for not going out alot and not having a gf yet...

"You should of been got one" or "U need to get out more"..

The only difference between us are 2 things...

I have a decent social life...

and I have just ONE true friend....

We grew up together and he's like my bro. there was a time were we went after the same girl and it got kinda crazy but that month afterwards we was still cool. IF u can find 1 person who truly understands u(which takes time) and who's worth u showing ur entire being(who u r mentally), That'll be a great stepping stone. W/o my best friend, I would probably been searching 4 dat sum1 to talk to, no matter how jacked up they may be... although thats jus a guess.... Even though u can always chat on here, ur gonna need a true friend in real world interaction.(there's tons of pple who awere at my school who loved anime/emulation and anything i liked. Absorb some extra activity groups.)

"A person who has nowhere to lay down his feelings and thoughts may accidentally lock his mind preventing anything from escaping... Once this happens, his mind will eventually breakdown from the weight...unless someone comes to breakdown the door from the outside, releasing the congestion that once suffocated his soul..."

-DePoet (The Headphone Guy)

Edited by Shoma

I can just hear the wrists about to get sliced.

lol like i said i'm not that emo. and if i were to kill myself, i would jump off a really tall building or something really high and doing a bunch of flips before i land head first onto the ground

Boy you kiddos need to hang out with me. I'd show you the bright side of life. I am relatively emo and I keep my feelings open for everyone to see, and I take great pride in that. Sure, people could hurt me in the past but the fact that I've made some very long-lasting friendships, ones I can actually call true friends, it's been worth it. If you're willing to take on the backlash, it will work for you too. Life is really great if you find your passions.

Boy you kiddos need to hang out with me. I'd show you the bright side of life. I am relatively emo and I keep my feelings open for everyone to see, and I take great pride in that. Sure, people could hurt me in the past but the fact that I've made some very long-lasting friendships, ones I can actually call true friends, it's been worth it. If you're willing to take on the backlash, it will work for you too. Life is really great if you find your passions.

that's only if u find it though