My Videos Explaing How Mame Works

MK3Fan

Nice, but I'm rather surprised with all the work you put in, that you forked over the money for an ArcadeVGA. Pretty much any video card you can buy from within the last 5 years, is guaranteed to be able to output 15khz with no problem.

Then you also have yourself a cab with a card more than capable of 3D horsepower than the crappy 9250/X550 chipsets. It's what I'm doing with my Versus City.

Nice, but I'm rather surprised with all the work you put in, that you forked over the money for an ArcadeVGA. Pretty much any video card you can buy from within the last 5 years, is guaranteed to be able to output 15khz with no problem.

Then you also have yourself a cab with a card more than capable of 3D horsepower than the crappy 9250/X550 chipsets. It's what I'm doing with my Versus City.

I went with the ArcadeVGA because at the time, it was the only card I knew of that would work for the application I needed. I was new to the game and just wanted the best for the money. Everywhere I went, people only talked about the ArcadeVGA card, so that's what I got. Granted, this was a little over two years ago, so the stuff that's out now might be better. The upside to using the ArcadeVGA is that it outputs the original game resolution of whatever game you are playing. A standard card doesn't do that. That was another selling point in my mind.

Someone asked me to post some videos on YouTube explaing how my machine is wired up and how it funtions. Figured I'd post the links here. Someone might find them useful. Thanks.

Part 1...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFGObA6iK9w

Part 2...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d50LbSlxQxI

Part 3...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHISiwBijys

Thank you for posting these videos here! You seem to have a very big gaming libary as well. It's always great to see fellow gamers show us what they have made in their free time.

Your cabinet looks excellent! I also enjoyed how you put the classic MK music at the log off screen of XP. Did you purchase plans to build the cabinet or did you design it yourself? Do you have any fans inside the machine to blow any heat out? Also, why didn't you just put an actual computer within a case inside your arcade cab, instead of having the parts bare inside? You seem to have more than 1 arcade cabinet, how many do you have total? And did you make them all? Lastly, how much did it cost you in all to build the MK2 cabinet?

I went with the ArcadeVGA because at the time, it was the only card I knew of that would work for the application I needed. I was new to the game and just wanted the best for the money. Everywhere I went, people only talked about the ArcadeVGA card, so that's what I got. Granted, this was a little over two years ago, so the stuff that's out now might be better. The upside to using the ArcadeVGA is that it outputs the original game resolution of whatever game you are playing. A standard card doesn't do that. That was another selling point in my mind.

Good point, I'm somewhat limited in the resolutions I can use with 15khz on my normal card. I'm not a perfectionist enough to want that anyway though. I PREFER filtering and smoothing on my games, even if I was used to the original look, I like the look of them more.

If you're wanting that though, ArcadeVGA is an obvious must.

Thank you for posting these videos here! You seem to have a very big gaming libary as well. It's always great to see fellow gamers show us what they have made in their free time.

Your cabinet looks excellent! I also enjoyed how you put the classic MK music at the log off screen of XP. Did you purchase plans to build the cabinet or did you design it yourself? Do you have any fans inside the machine to blow any heat out? Also, why didn't you just put an actual computer within a case inside your arcade cab, instead of having the parts bare inside? You seem to have more than 1 arcade cabinet, how many do you have total? And did you make them all? Lastly, how much did it cost you in all to build the MK2 cabinet?

I got the plans from http://www.jakobud.com I wanted easier access to the computer parts so I went without the standard case. All the components are secured and are in no danger of becoming loose or moving around inside. The MK3 cab is the only one I built from scratch. The Arkanoid I restored (Here is a link to a video of that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pAtWEAzOM8 , the MK2 I did a factory restoration on, and the Star Wars Trilogy I got from a Dave And Busters that went out of business in Kansas City. After all was said and done, I spent $3000 building the MK3 mame, $1500 restoring the MK2, $2000 on the Star Wars Trilogy, and $1000 restoring the Arkanoid. Yes, it is a LOT of money, but I have it to spend and I take pride in the end result and the overall look of the machines. Thanks for your kind words.

Edited by MK3Fan

I got the plans from http://www.jakobud.com I wanted easier access to the computer parts so I went without the standard case. All the components are secured and are in no danger of becoming loose or moving around inside. The MK3 cab is the only one I built from scratch. The Arkanoid I restored (Here is a link to a video of that http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pAtWEAzOM8 , the MK2 I did a factory restoration on, and the Star Wars Trilogy I got from a Dave And Busters that went out of business in Kansas City. After all was said and done, I spent $3000 building the MK3 mame, $1500 restoring the MK2, $2000 on the Star Wars Trilogy, and $1000 restoring the Arkanoid. Yes, it is a LOT of money, but I have it to spend and I take pride in the end result and the overall look of the machines. Thanks for your kind words.

Wow, that is indeed a lot of money. You must have a stable income job to even have the space to house all those arcade cabinets. The only place an average person can put an arcade cabinet is the garage or living room. Living room is usually not a great option because it doesn't blend well with the house. And the garage isn't exactly a good environment because of outside weather coming in.

Anyway, I'm glad you're happy. Perhaps, I'll have to wait until I win the lottery to have a cab of my own, but it surely is something I want to do in the near future. Also, did you have any form of background in electronics before you built the cab? I'm sure some sort of knowledge in those areas were needed to connect everything correctly. Who can forget woodworking? :)

I was an Aviation Electrician in the Navy for 6 years and now I am an Avionics Modification Engineer. The woodworking is just being able to cut and measure.

Wow! Well then, that would explain it. :)