British ISPs Could Be Punished Over File Sharing

Jitway

If no agreement is reached, "the government will equip itself to introduce legislation swiftly if suitable arrangements between ISPs and relevant sectors are not forthcoming or prove insufficient," the report said.

That kind of legislation would essentially require ISPs to examine what content a subscriber is downloading, opening a range of privacy concerns.

Representatives of the U.K.'s Internet Service Providers' Association could not be reached for comment, but the ISP industry generally opposes measures that would require monitoring of content on their networks.

That view is supported in existing in European Union and U.K. directives, which says ISPs are not liable for material passing on their networks.

Yes this would be a big blow and a concern for privacy. I suggest all you Brits to scream from the top of your lungs at this one.

Full Story HERE

I regard the internet something like a road. Anyone can drive anywhere on a road, and the authority that manages roads is not required to decide who can drive where. That is up to the police.

ISPs are just like the road authority. They provide the service, and should not have to decide who can do what. Again, that should be a police matter.

The British authorities, in cahoots with their American masters, are going too far.

The police should concentrate on getting all those drug dealers and child molesters instead of worrying about music sharing.

Didn't you hear? Music pirates are usually pedophilic homicidal terrorist drug dealers.

I was not aware of it! Darn my neighbor could be stalking me as we speak :blink:

It's never gonna happen. Firstly, you can encrypt your connection using a 128 mbit encryption system for torrents and DC++ afaik and for browsing you can use Tor or a similar service. Britland has no right to challenge privacy like that, not if it still wants to be part of the European Union.

Secondly these are just blown out of proportion. The brit government receives these kinds of green draft papers every day. Toilet paper is worth more.