Your thoughts on your ps3 system

Kenshinsama

me and my roommate got a PS3 off of a customer who was about to trade it into my store. me being the haggler that I am(and also the guy wanting cash for his ps3 lol) was able to score it for two hundread dollars with 3 games and three controllers. while of course this is a great price for all of this...I am kinda disappointed in it. at least with the gaming aspects of it.

The XMB is exactly like the psp and while its a pretty simple enough GUI to mess around its got its own annoying perks. most of the games out now are ports and the exclusives arent all THAT good (Folksoul is king tho and it owns pretty hard...sorry thats the ghetto in me lol) the sony store is...laughable and theres really not much you can do with the browser. save for visit youtube.

I say I "half a console" because the other parts of it I really do like. the divx support is nice and being able to save media from the ps3 or streaming it is pretty badassed. the option of installing linux on it also gives me a few other options and opens up a alot of other great possibilities. for instance being able to boot a ps3 game thru linux versus going all the way back into the ps3 XMB. or being able to copy blu-ray movies from the drive and saving them onto the system. its a great multimedia machine...its just the gaming side of it that is just seriously lacking to me. any thoughts?

I disagree, i love the PS3. Its too early to make a jugdement on the gaming side of the system, but games like Uncharted, Rachet and clank and Resistance show that the system can handle games more then well as long as the developers are doing their part. The Orange box for the PS3 fluctuates alot as opposed to COD4 that NEVER drops in framerate. The Media side to the PS3 is amazing, from being able to update from the memory stick to being able to connect the PS3 to your PC and share all your media files is beyond awesome.

I say, give it some more time, they are going to implement the PS store to the PSP, someone might actually grab the time and make drivers for the memory card adapter and alot more to come with the updates.

The Media side to the PS3 is amazing, from being able to update from the memory stick to being able to connect the PS3 to your PC and share all your media files is beyond awesome.

I agree the PS3 has potential but... you make it sound like the 360 can't do those things you mention. System updates, PC media sharing and DivX are all things already available on the Xbox. Also for everyone of those top PS3 games (Uncharted, eg.), the 360 has about 5 of that quality or higher. Sure in a year from now it will have MGS4, FFXIII and maybe GT5... but the 360 already has Gears, Halo, Bioshock, PGR4, Forza 2, C&C3, Mass Effect, Lost Odyssey...

And that's not including in-game Dashboard access, unified friends lists, cross-game invites, custom soundtracks for all games, achievements or Gamerscore. Potential it may have but it also has a lot in terms of library and basic functionality to catch up on.

I will have a gadget meeting with local gaming forum gang. We will showcase my X360 Elite on 32" LCD TV with HDMI and a PS3 side by side.

Comparison will be made with games like Assassin's Creed and COD4.

hopefully this will settle which console is better :blink:

The Media side to the PS3 is amazing, from being able to update from the memory stick to being able to connect the PS3 to your PC and share all your media files is beyond awesome.

I agree the PS3 has potential but... you make it sound like the 360 can't do those things you mention. System updates, PC media sharing and DivX are all things already available on the Xbox. Also for everyone of those top PS3 games (Uncharted, eg.), the 360 has about 5 of that quality or higher. Sure in a year from now it will have MGS4, FFXIII and maybe GT5... but the 360 already has Gears, Halo, Bioshock, PGR4, Forza 2, C&C3, Mass Effect, Lost Odyssey...

And that's not including in-game Dashboard access, unified friends lists, cross-game invites, custom soundtracks for all games, achievements or Gamerscore. Potential it may have but it also has a lot in terms of library and basic functionality to catch up on.

Who was comparing the 360 at all??? That wasnt the point of my post but yea i see what you mean and i think it will all catch up with the system updates because as you can see, the 360 has one year over the PS3.

Also, Forza is ass, C&C3 is ok, not that great and Project Gotham is meh.

well it really wont. some games while I HATE to admit it look better on my ps3 versus my Xbox360. for me though that really doesnt matter that the games they share end up looking better on the pS3. UT on the ps3 is a great game but once I can play on Xbox live I am so trading it in. and yeah the xbox got a jump on the PS3 but who cares? its been out for what? a year now? a year into the Xbox and there was a shitload of hits. that while none of them were in my fave Genre (japanese roleplaying games) I ended up becoming a fan of a bunch of different genres I usually wouldnt mess with. I love gears, rainbow six and hell even have some live for quake. Bioshock also in my opinion is maybe one of the sickest FPS titles out right now. because its more than just a "different FPS" The story is crazy immersive and finally FINALLy DEVELOPERS are finally understanding that proper story telling is very very flocking crucial. this console war is far from over though. even though the ps3 finally has some really killers apps coming pretty soon...

Thats one whole year of positive/negative feedback, one whole year of developers getting comfortable with the xbox 360. That one year makes a difference, and now its starting to show. If only the xbox were a reliable system that wont get the RRoD, then it wouldve swiped Sony out.

I will have a gadget meeting with local gaming forum gang. We will showcase my X360 Elite on 32" LCD TV with HDMI and a PS3 side by side.

Comparison will be made with games like Assassin's Creed and COD4.

hopefully this will settle which console is better :blink:

*sigh* All you'll notice is one is more darker (360), one handles shadows differently (PS3) and one has less jaggies (Give or take either system). Honestly, that's all you'll notice.

What I don't like about the PS3 is;

1) Price tag

2) Multiple SKU choices

3) Home (Live takes the cake. Home only sounds good in theory.)

4) Game Selection - Why get it on PS3 when I already can get it on my 360, or even better yet, my PC. It's exclusive titles aren't that much very appealing. When we first saw MGS4, I was stunned. It looked perfect, but when we saw what it looked like in actual game play was less then stunning. It looks too bright (lol) and a little too plastic.

Rising development costs call for multi console releases. I wouldn't bank MGS4 being on PS3 forever. We'll see a port, eventually. The only thing PS3 has going own is it's jRPGs.

Edit: Only 2 of my 4 dislikes about the PS3 are the same critisms the 360 was met with. Guess which ones.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my PS3 for X-Mas and right now, I have no games. I did have games but I got rid of them. Asassin's Creed blow, Folklore blew, and so did Dynasty Warriors 6. Devil May Cry 4 was ok, I expected more from it. I got movies, anime, music, and pics in my PS3 right now. I'm waiting for MGS4. Man I really wanna play Lost Odyessy

• 2 weeks later...
I got my PS3 for X-Mas and right now, I have no games. I did have games but I got rid of them. Asassin's Creed blow, Folklore blew, and so did Dynasty Warriors 6. Devil May Cry 4 was ok, I expected more from it. I got movies, anime, music, and pics in my PS3 right now. I'm waiting for MGS4. Man I really wanna play Lost Odyessy

2ND that!! I don't have any games for mine either I rented a couple but nothing out right now is worth buying and why are all the ports inferior to the 360's??? I can't wait for MGS4 the only game in my opinion that is worth waiting for. I only blow the dust off my PS3 when I want to watch a bluray movie or bust out a PS2 game. 360 makes this it's biatch with or without a bluray add on.