Intel Rolls Out Double-Quad-Core Platform For Gamers

Jitway

How about Double Core = P5 and Quad Core = P6 and Double Quad Core = P7? At least it makes it better to understand by increasing numbers -> increasing performance. :(

Because they'd all be in the same family. The Core 2 series a family of CPU all to it's own. Similar to how the Core series is it's own family and the Pentium D and M is as well. They all handle instructions differently is what seperates all the families of CPU from each other. What Core 2 is being basically is Pentium 3 was to desktop computers, it's a new generation of CPU. Like they could keep using the Pentium brand, but unlike nVidia who made the transisation from the FX series back to more popular Thousand series, Core 2 has made a name for it all on its own and everyone knows about that. I don't see people talking about Pentiums anymore, I see them talking about Core Duo (even though their wrong in saying Core Duo, it's Core 2 Duo) or just plainly saying "Dual Core."

I apologize but I might be taking this offtopic for a moment.

Theres something that bothers me with these new processors. Now I know this might sound absurd. But please bare with me. How come a centrino core duo isn't equivalent or more powerful than a pentium 4? I've ran some test.. The only thing I've noticed is that the centino core duo has some extra stuff but it isn't faster than a p4. Centrino core duo clocks at 1.83ghz (which is as far as i was told it could go) and most P4's goes above 2.00ghz. (Now this is where it sounds obsurd..) How can this be if a 7yr old P4 is faster than a 1-2yr centrino core duo? or maybe im seeing this the wrong way? I mean 1.83ghz doesnt seem much... I imagine practicly all window live games would run like crap with a processor clocking at 1.83ghz and maybe a much faster performance change to a 2.00ghz processor? If you would like photos of what I got with CPU-z on both processors, let me know.

I apologize but I might be taking this offtopic for a moment.

Theres something that bothers me with these new processors. Now I know this might sound absurd. But please bare with me. How come a centrino core duo isn't equivalent or more powerful than a pentium 4? I've ran some test.. The only thing I've noticed is that the centino core duo has some extra stuff but it isn't faster than a p4. Centrino core duo clocks at 1.83ghz (which is as far as i was told it could go) and most P4's goes above 2.00ghz. (Now this is where it sounds obsurd..) How can this be if a 7yr old P4 is faster than a 1-2yr centrino core duo? or maybe im seeing this the wrong way? I mean 1.83ghz doesnt seem much... I imagine practicly all window live games would run like crap with a processor clocking at 1.83ghz and maybe a much faster performance change to a 2.00ghz processor? If you would like photos of what I got with CPU-z on both processors, let me know.

Centrino (and in turn, the whole Core 2 series) allows more sets of instructions to run by means of lower power consumption rates. For example, my Core 2 Duo E6750 can out preform an older P4, such as yours, on stock, which is 2.66 GHz/333. In fact, it is very possible, since I underclocked my E6750 too 1.6 GHz/333 multiplyer, I still managed to handle Crysis pretty well. It is all to do how they handle instructions. Since the world wants to be greener, lower power consumption rates + handles better then older CPUs at lower clock speeds = win!

Since then I've overlocked my E6750 to 3.0GHz (from the original 2.66) Runs flawlessly with no probs. And i'm running on 550W of power too. No voltage increse required. I've heard people have gotten up to 3.69GHz on stock as well.