CPU PLaY HDMI!?!?!?

Shoma

OK been got my new cpu and it came with hdmi cord for my monitor that connects to the hardrive.

It also came with a dvi cord as well!

Now my dvi slot is easy to see and right in the back but when i try to find the slot that my hdmi cord is supposed to go in, I cant find it and some guys told me that there is no card that will have a hdmi slot on it.

So im like Y give me the cord if i cant play it without buying anything extra!?!?!?

anyway im wondering is there something i can do taht doersnt invovle buting 5 difffernt cords?

by cpu, do u mean the computer? and

hdmi cord for my monitor that connects to the hardrive.

hdml cable doesn't plug into the harddrive

if u want to plug ur computer to a HD TV u can use that hdmi cable with a dvi-hdmi adapter but then i don't know how u would get sound from it

Do you mean motherboard instead of CPU? The MB MAY have an HDMI slot, but I doubt it seriously.

Are you sure the cable you are talking about isn't a SATA cable? The end, if drunk enough, could resemble an HDMI cable end.

Take a pic or give more info (MB model, etc)

Also, does the parts list SAY it's an HDMI cable???

EDIT- ok I just read your post again and it's killing me. Did you buy a MB, Cpu OR Video Card? If you bought a video card, then I could see maybe having those items. I've built lots of rigs and have never seen a MB come with a video cable of any sort. but if you had onboard HDMI, then it would make a little sense. Anyway, let us know more please.

Edited by TapeWurm

I have no idea what your talking about, but here are some things that may help.

There are video cards with HDMI-Out now, You may have one, probably not, they are very new. You can easily tell by checking to see if your card has the port on it or not.

Some mobos somehow introduce HDMI, again, if you have this it will be on the back. This is weird and rare I'm guessing. I have a mobo lying around that does it but I never bothered to use it because I had to buy some pin header thing that wasn't for sale anywhere, and I don't own an HDTV anyway.

Chances are you have neither, if you still want to use HDMI-Out you can do the following

Get a DVI-D (Single link is all you need, but Dual Link will work too) To HDMI adapter, one probably came with your card, in fact it should have, but if it doesn't make sure you get DVI-D Single or Dual Link, DO NOT get any form of DVI-I or DVI-A or it won't work. You will now have a cable that is DVI at one end for your card and HDMI at the other for your HDTV

If your monitor has an HDMI Input, well thats what it is, the HDMI cable is for hooking a Blu-Ray/HD-DVD (LOLZ!)/Game Console or whatever to your monitor. You CAN hook your PC up to the monitor this way but its a complete waste of time since DVI and HDMI are essentially the same thing.

Your Hard Drive has nothing to do with any of this

Neither does your CPU, except maybe if its fast enough to play back HD content. Unless by CPU your referring to the entire PC/Tower/Workstation/That loud ass thing driving up the electric bill/whatever other names people call it nowadays.

If it does indeed fit into your Hard Drive, Its not an HDMI cable, like previously said, its probably a SATA cable (They are usually red, Gigabyte makes weird orange and green ones, theres probably a billion colors floating around by now because of casemodders)

You can get sound through your HDMI cable from your PC, it involves an audio cable going from your sound card into your video card. I've never done this myself so look more into it if thats what your trying to do. Its also relatively new I think...maybe...(I think only a couple GeForce 8s have it added by companies like EVGA/XFX to their specific versions of the card)

People don't usually flock around with HDMI on PCs other than to connect it to a TV for a HTPC because they have DVI which is cheaper, and better. (I'm pretty sure DVI-D Dual Link outperforms the latest HDMI standard, but I could be wrong, I don't really pay that much attention to HDMI because paying 90 dollars for a 6 foot cable doesn't really appeal to me, research how HDMI works and you'll see that technically they should be cheaper than analog cables)

It sounds like what you are trying to do is connect your monitor maybe? Just connect the DVI cord to your PC, and the other end to your monitor, ignore the HDMI cable unless you want to hook up an HDTV.

Oh and there is no reason whatsoever for your monitor to connect to your hard drive.

I have no idea what your talking about, but here are some things that may help.

You said everything I wanted to, but I just didn't have that kind of dedication to the thread haha.

I don't really pay that much attention to HDMI because paying 90 dollars for a 6 foot cable doesn't really appeal to me, research how HDMI works and you'll see that technically they should be cheaper than analog cables)

Check out Monoprice.com

I got 3 HDMI cables for less than one at Walmart. Fantastic company, great product.

I've watched mini-documentary videos on cables such as Monster and other pricey ones. You are not paying for anything extra. Yes there are cheap cables, but expensive ones do not mean better quality. The cables that I ordered are fantastic. Great construction, sturdy. Nothing cheap about them but the cost.

If you are looking for any type of cable, give them a shot. I wish I would have got my DVI-HDMI cable from there before paying 30+$ at walmart for it.

Oh, monoprice also has very cheap component / HD cables for next gen consoles. way cheaper than elsewhere. highly recommended.

Edited by TapeWurm

OMG! lol

Thank you all...

After SHiba's post, i did some more research, i realized that its not hdmi that my manual said i could use, its a dvi. lol

So the cord im using now called a "VGA cord".

SO now!

They gave me a dvi cord but not a dvi output on the back of my processor. I just need to know how can i get a dvi port for my comp.

And if Wat shiba said is true ("DVI and HDMI are essentially the same thing.") then i just wont bother with hdmi for awhile.

Edited by Shoma

Shoma, your processor is your CPU. INSIDE the computer, socketed to the motherboard. Please for the love of god learn proper terminology, you're confusing us all.

HDMI and DVI are compatible for video, but HDMI also carries audio. If you don't have a DVI socket on your motherboard (Onboard video) or your video card, you don't have DVI. You'll need to buy a newer video card that does have it if you want to use it.

You CAN however hook up with a VGA cable, if your plans are to hook up to an HDTV, if said TV has VGA in. And you will be able to feed the TV HD signals (To 1080i)

Shoma, your processor is your CPU. INSIDE the computer, socketed to the motherboard. Please for the love of god learn proper terminology, you're confusing us all.

HDMI and DVI are compatible for video, but HDMI also carries audio. If you don't have a DVI socket on your motherboard (Onboard video) or your video card, you don't have DVI. You'll need to buy a newer video card that does have it if you want to use it.

You CAN however hook up with a VGA cable, if your plans are to hook up to an HDTV, if said TV has VGA in. And you will be able to feed the TV HD signals (To 1080i)

well bloody excuse me for not being the tecno gekko! :blink:

But i thought i needed a dvi or hdmi cord to feed HD signals...

Ur saying i dont!?

No, you don't. VGA will suffice if your display accepts it. Component Video is analog as is VGA, DVI and HDMI are just digital. You can display HD resolutions over VGA, I'm just not sure if 1080p is possible because I don't think VGA has enough bandwidth.