Nintendo Wii officially HACKED without modchip!

haha cool, I'm gonna try it out just for fun. Hopefully it gets fully cracked open, I have a feeling its going to work similar to custom PSP firmware.

That would be nice. But I see as a problem those games that update your Wii. Like Super Mario Galaxy.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read about this on tehskeen yesterday, tried it out myself. Good to see the first steps in the Wii homebrew scene. Tired of all these great projects not being able to use the Wii's full hardware. Looking forward to where this can lead to.

They now have it booting Pong via a SD GekKo using this exploit, showing that code can be launched without a chip.

(Pong cant be played, etc, just launched)

NOW thing's are going to pick up some steam I hope :-( This is definitely a good sign of things to come. Just days and already progress!

DesktopMan has ported Tetris to the Nintendo Wii. You can run it in native Wii mode. This would be the second public functioning Nintendo Wii homebrew title to come out. You can watch a video of it here.

Download the ELF here: http://www.auby.no/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Wii homebrew finally taking off, cant wait for them to be able to boot it direct from the Wii's SD slot reader, thats gonna be sweet, only a matter of time.

Edited by emwearz

I dont think that a firmware update would help much, the games disc can not be altered with its data in it. I dont see a firmware update effecting this to be honest, I mean there updates cant stop chips, I don't see it stopping this.

More news, twilight-hack-v0.1-alpha2 Released has been released you can now boot your own ELF files (though they have to be recompiled for the wii, and thus far only Pong and Tetris have (with Pong having no controls). Moving fast, awesome.

I dont think that a firmware update would help much, the games disc can not be altered with its data in it. I dont see a firmware update effecting this to be honest, I mean there updates cant stop chips, I don't see it stopping this.

More news, twilight-hack-v0.1-alpha2 Released has been released you can now boot your own ELF files (though they have to be recompiled for the wii, and thus far only Pong and Tetris have (with Pong having no controls). Moving fast, awesome.

I can't wait. Soon homebrew, then the ability to play backups, and then the Wii is discontinued like the Dreamcast. Is it really worth it? Or was it simply a myth that rampant piracy destroyed the DreamCast? The problem is that this is a complete softmod, and unlike the 360 -- you don't have to open the system up and void your warranty. Therefore, more people are going to participate in this hack or softmod.

As much as I am excited, I am worried that the Wii's lifespan may be in jeopardy!

edit: After thinking a little about this ... I take back a little of what I said only because I realized that GameCube was soft-moddable as well with an SD Gecko and an Action Replay to play backups and homebrew. And of course, that didn't kill the GameCube. At the same time, you don't even need to buy an Action Replay to do this Wii hack.