rig building advise

Inky

Yea i want to stick with the Phenom because it is inexpensive and although i sacrifice all the cache speed intel would give me, i would be saving some $$$ along the way.

As for the GPU and PSU, ive chosen these.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130317

8800GTS

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?...N82E16817152033

RAIDMAX Quantum

I think I've made my mind up on a 3850. unless for some reason the 8800 gt drops down to the 180.00 range.

I don't have much to add here. You guys seem to have been given enough advice and I wouldn't want to confuse you more by smacking down anything anyone else has said.

I'll just say STAY AWAY FROM GIGABYTE regardless of what anyone else says. They can't hold their own against better board makers like Asus or DFI.

Oh and thanks for pointing out the Phenom Don illMatiX, I just googled some on it and it seems my Asus M2R32-MVP will be able to run em via a bios update. SCHWEET! Quad Core with no expensive motherboard upgrade.

I don't have much to add here. You guys seem to have been given enough advice and I wouldn't want to confuse you more by smacking down anything anyone else has said.

I'll just say STAY AWAY FROM GIGABYTE regardless of what anyone else says. They can't hold their own against better board makers like Asus or DFI.

Oh and thanks for pointing out the Phenom Don illMatiX, I just googled some on it and it seems my Asus M2R32-MVP will be able to run em via a bios update. SCHWEET! Quad Core with no expensive motherboard upgrade.

i just checked out that motherboard, and i wanted to ask, what is the difference between AM2 and AM2+?

• 2 weeks later...

Gigabytes are for Overclocking pissing contests, thats what they do right. I wouldn't put on in a rig for anything else. They have ONE board thats reliable that I keep hearing about, But I haven't owned it so I can't really say anything. It's for Intel chips anyway.

Even if you don't have anything that uses all 4 cores, Windows will run faster, you can have your game on 1 or 2 cores, while the other 2 run crap in the background. DO go quad core if you can afford it. I'll probably have my Q6600 for a long ass time. Pretty future proof as more things start to use more cores. (especially after a little overclocking) I even got mine used for a deal with a pretty damn good CPU cooler, its a B3 but it beats most G0 chips anyway which is a strange yet awesome thing to have. Point being they aren't as ridiculously expensive as they used to be. (B3 and G0 are different revisions, the G0 is newer and cooler/uses less energy/overclocks better in most cases, other than that there isn't really a difference, so if you aren't going to OC pick up a B3 for cheap)

Just so you know, that 8800GTS is NOT a G92 GTS, its MUCH slower. The 8800GT kills it.

Gigabytes are for Overclocking pissing contests, thats what they do right. I wouldn't put on in a rig for anything else. They have ONE board thats reliable that I keep hearing about, But I haven't owned it so I can't really say anything. It's for Intel chips anyway.

Even if you don't have anything that uses all 4 cores, Windows will run faster, you can have your game on 1 or 2 cores, while the other 2 run crap in the background. DO go quad core if you can afford it. I'll probably have my Q6600 for a long ass time. Pretty future proof as more things start to use more cores. (especially after a little overclocking) I even got mine used for a deal with a pretty damn good CPU cooler, its a B3 but it beats most G0 chips anyway which is a strange yet awesome thing to have. Point being they aren't as ridiculously expensive as they used to be. (B3 and G0 are different revisions, the G0 is newer and cooler/uses less energy/overclocks better in most cases, other than that there isn't really a difference, so if you aren't going to OC pick up a B3 for cheap)

Just so you know, that 8800GTS is NOT a G92 GTS, its MUCH slower. The 8800GT kills it.

which gigabyte board r u talking about? i just build my PC and i have a GA-P35-DS3L with a e8400. i might overclock later but not soon. so is this reliable if i'm not overclocking.

i got the 8800GT and it's pretty sweet, well my last card was a Radeon 9600 so that's a huge jump for me :)