Well since Blu-Ray has more or less won

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blu-Ray may possibly have beaten HD-DVD, but will lose to DVD. 90% of consumers couldn't give a rats ass about HD Movies, I am one of them.

I won't be buying either, and certainly not Blu-Ray even if it sticks around (Which it won't), they can't stick to a properly formed backwards compatible spec. People with 1st gen players, will have obsolete hardware in just a mere few months thanks to the unfinalized spec of Blu-Ray.

By the time enough people give a damn about HD movies, something newer and better will be on the up and coming.

Movies are a moot point for me. I don't really watch that many.

You're making a bad assumption anyway Cinder because Blu-ray won't go anywhere since it will be the dominant storage media until holographic disks are made anyway. 50 GB on a dual layer disk, yes please. And did I mention that the PS3 uses Blu-Ray disks for their games?

HD DVD is already obsolete hardware though, Toshiba have made a last desperate attempt to cut their losses by slicing their players' prices by 50% anyway. Too bad I forgot to tell my father that he's got a piece of obsolete hardware because he had no idea about the format war in the first place...

Movies are a moot point for me. I don't really watch that many.

You're making a bad assumption anyway Cinder because Blu-ray won't go anywhere since it will be the dominant storage media until holographic disks are made anyway. 50 GB on a dual layer disk, yes please. And did I mention that the PS3 uses Blu-Ray disks for their games?

HD DVD is already obsolete hardware though, Toshiba have made a last desperate attempt to cut their losses by slicing their players' prices by 50% anyway. Too bad I forgot to tell my father that he's got a piece of obsolete hardware because he had no idea about the format war in the first place...

Did anybody forget about downloadable media? Apple announced at their keynote today that they are introducing both DVD and HD-DVD download options. They will be having a wealth of movies available for us to "rent" / download from their iTunes store.

DVD - $2.99 rental download

HD-DVD - $3.99 rental download

I think the price is too high IMO. If they're smart, they'd make it $1.99 or even $0.99 for DVD rentals. After all, we'd only be downloading the movies and will not have a physical disc.

If this becomes a success, I can definitely see NetFlix and Blockbuster having serious problems trying to stay afloat with actual disc rentals.

I'm not sure how much this will affect the actual sale of high definition discs (i.e. Blu-Ray), but I'm certain that it'll hinder it.

I hope piracy will prevent that kind of service from ever being profitable. The media companies already whore enough money out of us as it is, and the last

thing we need is more 1-time view, no guarantee if the download fvcks up midway, DRM-infested, ad-infested media. Rather, money should be spent in creating new codecs and compression methods to make movies smaller with no quality loss and creating another container for music that's both the size of a small mp3 and lossless.

Just because the PS3 uses Blu-Ray, does NOT mean the format will stick around as a general consumer medium. There were loads of systems utilizing custom CD formats, the Gamecube has it's own mini-disc format, the Dreamcast had GD-ROM........

What you and millions of other people don't seem to understand, is that a video game system has ZERO bearing on the success of any given media.

1: Will most consumers adopt this media for audio/video playback within it's first 3 years? In the case of Blu-Ray, theres a resounding "I don't f**king think so!"

2: Will the PC market take the format on as a standard means of storage? Given the price point still and the slow uptake of writers in the market, this is pretty much a given......no. DVD still outweighs on ALL fronts. Price, space (So what if you need multiple DVDs to equal a Blu-Ray disc, it's still at least 2x cheaper) and durability. DVD had the upswing of being the successor to VHS, not CDROM though being 100% compatible with the features CDROM offered as well PLUS way more space.

3: Within the first 3 years, do standalone players account for 60% or more hardware sales? No, the PS3 counts as 80-90% of sales, and don't tell me you actually believe that even half of those PS3 owners even know they can play Blu-Ray movies/Care if they can....cause they don't.

Blu-Ray has won the battle, but has already lost the war to DVD and the next upcoming UNIFIED format. Theres no room for 2 formats in this day and age, no matter which one outdoes the other......it is doomed itself to failure.

reminds me how normal CD's are still sold, but only to burn for CD players. Just about every computer these days has a DVD AND CD burner, however it took like 5-6 years for it to happen. I'm just going to sit back and watch. Our main TV is from the 80s and still works, it isn't near high Def, since it also uses Hex-shaped pixels. VHS is still the best format for recording stuff off TV, its just too robust and secure, except with a magnet that is ;)