[1/15/08] I Am Legend (Movie)

693210.jpg

Title: I Am Legend

Starring: Will Smith

Genre: Horror/Sci Fi

Ok so here is a movie with a legend himself; Will Smith while he plays the last man alive. The story goes like this, Will smith plays Robert Neville. He was seemingly the only survivor of a cure for cancer which turned out to be a fatal Dust born Virus which wiped out the entire world by either infecting them, or the infected ate the people who survived. In all honesty, the idea sounds great. I've heard that the book is great in all aspects, but this movie is missing too much detail and adds on too much BS in order for this to be worth watching if you read the book. Having said that, the movie was very horribly put together. Good ideals were noticed, but one has to question the integrity of the production on this movie.

752_large.jpg

First off, last I checked, movies are supposed to define the line between realism and fiction. This movie constantly jumped all over that line and completely erased it to make sense. For starters, this man was driving his car. I would like to know where exactly he managed to find Gasoline that didn't either evaporate or that he managed to save up for years?? From what I know, Gasoline Evaporates QUICKLY! So you mean to tell me that this Gasoline Not only lasted him 3 years of constant use with his car and his electronic generators, but that it didn't evaporate? Sorry, Not buying it. The Electronic Generators he was using in his house are gas powered. My family uses those in Dominican Republic, so if he uses that to power his lab and run his car for all his hunting and Lab missions, then that would never leave him with 3 years worth of Gasoline. The zombies in this movie were well done like a good porterhouse. They have one weakness which happens to be light……so wouldn't the smart thing to do be to constantly point light at them? Throughout most of this movie, Robert refused to do so. I couldn't see what kind of logic was being applied here. Was he trying to conceal himself in the darkness? That wouldn't work because they obviously have a heightened sense of vision, smell or hearing which allows them to lurk in the dark while still being able to recognize their surroundings. Not only that, but the way he was breathing would give him away to any normal human being, what's stopping these super moving zombies from hearing a terrified Robert Neville Hyperventilating? Well these are just a few of the questions this movie left me with while I was watching. Obviously I know this is a science fiction, but as a producer, they need to recognize the line between realism and fantasy.

i_am_legend_9.jpg

Still, that up there is not what kills this movie. The movie is very enjoyable. It can even be categorized as a thriller if you want because of some unexpected screams and jumps. It's a fun movie to watch if your not looking for a well produced movie which is the predecessor to a well written book. Anyone who lives in New York will automatically feel at home seeing the abandoned Times Square. But what made this movie a piece of god forgivable trash is the ending. Honestly, when I saw the ending, I almost puked on my desk. There is absolutely NO CLOSURE! You find out NOTHING. Cliffhanger. He sacrifices himself even though he does not have to. In the last scene the zombie was cracking at the glass, and on the last crack before Robert foolishly sacrifices himself, the zombie cracked a hole big enough for Robert to throw the grenade into and run out with the lady and kid.

i_am_legend_8.jpg

We have no clue how they used the cure to restore New York City back to normal. They left New York in rubble. He should've died in his attempt to force the cure upon them all. He was Smart enough to plant stadium lights and bombs around his house while creating a cure for a virus that killed the earth 3 years ago, I believe he could've found a way to force the cure upon all these zombies and THEN sacrifice himself in a final attempt to Restore NYC and then officially gain his spot as a Legend.

i_am_legend_7.jpg

My final thought, flock this movie To make a movie like this was a waste of time if I've ever seen one. When you build up a movie like this, we need CLOSURE! This is NOT the 70s. Movies do not just end after we find out who the bad guy is or we find out "what" the cure is. In this Decade, we like to know WHAT happens afterwards. Would I recommend this movie someone I hang out with? Absolutely not, because I only associate myself with people who know better. Would I recommend this to anyone else? Sure, it's a good action/thriller and its an enjoyable movie. Those that cannot see Producer flock-ups and don't let the fact that the realistic factor in this movie is there but done wrong, will enjoy this movie.

4 Stars Out of 10

Going by your review, you expected too much from this movie,

I seen closeure, which was explained in the shortest manner possible.

Going by the past movies (The Last Man On Earth 1964, and The Omega man 1971) based on the same book, I would have to say that I am legend was the best version to date...

I disagree with this review as I enjoyed it alot. Imo, you should kinda disregard some logic and just go along with the movie. It's the same as some movies as scenes seem impossible, but you go along with it anyways. Plus, I saw a lot of the book's ideas in this movie which was pretty cool (I never read the book myself)

Will smith's portrayal of Neville's loneliness and depression were done very well. To me, that seems like one of the main focus of the movie. In the thread about this in the lounge, I disagreed with the ending but it was adequate.

Btw, About the light thing, you think it's simple enough to shine a light on them, but it's actually UV light that harms them.

Otherwise, that zombie girl he captured would have died instantly in his basement. Also, I doubt just shining UV light on them would be that simple. Look at his light set up. The zombies pretty much tore through it despite being affected by it. They're no way as strong as the sun's uv rays.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd give it a 6 out of 10. Honestly, I would have considered giving it an 8 if it weren't for the fact that they completely flocked up the ending.

It IS a remake of The Last Man On Earth/I Am Legend, You CANNOT change the ending of this story. The entire point of the story is the original ending. It's like making a movie about the Titanic where the Titanic doesn't sink. King Kong where Kong lives, The Warriors where they don't make it home, Rocky where he never goes pro, etc etc etc.

• 1 month later...
It's another played out zombie movie. I've had enough with zombie movies.

If they move fast then I don't consider them zombies. Thus the case with this movie.

I'd give it a 6 out of 10. Honestly, I would have considered giving it an 8 if it weren't for the fact that they completely flocked up the ending.

It IS a remake of The Last Man On Earth/I Am Legend, You CANNOT change the ending of this story. The entire point of the story is the original ending. It's like making a movie about the Titanic where the Titanic doesn't sink. King Kong where Kong lives, The Warriors where they don't make it home, Rocky where he never goes pro, etc etc etc.

i Figured it was just another Spinoff from the book so since they can change just about everything else, why not making the ending something Worth watching?