THE END ALL BE ALL DC BURNING GUIDE

Okay, so I've read up a bit on what dummying is and how it "pads out" the rest of the empty space on a CD-R. But with Alcohol 120%, I'm only able to burn a DC CDI. file and nothing else, no CUE sheet (the games I've d/led so far only contain the CDI. image anyways), no dummy file. Anyone knows how I could not only burn a CDI. image, but pad out the disk with a dummy file as well because its clear to me that regularly burning them works, but loads too slow and strains my DC's motor.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Raven: It probably isn't self-boot, did you try to get the game to play with a boot disc? There are more non-selfboot games floating around than you think.

Dynamo: You pretty much have to extract the image, add the padding, and then recreate the image without altering the way the disc is organized (pay very special attention to which comes first, audio tracks/data tracks) its a huge pain in the ass and not really worth it IMO

Dreamcast is supposed to be loud (its not really strain your hearing), and by todays standards it does load pretty slow, using CD-Rs in your Dreamcast isn't the death sentence everyone thinks it is. It probably does mean an occasional re-alignment but if your careful you should be fine.

• 1 month later...

GREAT TOPIC!!!!!!

I have some problems with 2 games that i burnt 2 days ago:

1.Project justice - selfboot, cdi format. I made a copy and tried many times in dreamcast.....it's not working....the image of the game and the cd that i made are good......they are playable in chankast both....

2. Fur fighters - selfboot, cue+ bin format. Made this one to..... but he is beeing seen my dreamcast as a music cd. In chankast is the same.....it's like a cd with music tracks or something.......How do i burn cue+bin images?.....i only had cdi,nrg,mds images till now

I tried the guide and no luck. I can't get SA2 or Gigawing 2, or any other game that I've dl to work. Tried different media. I burned an utopia disc just to check if I was doing things right and it works fine. The cds work fine with chankast. I'm gona cry... All the games I've burned about 2 years ago still work though.

Edited by Tynvar

Yes, the same problem here......project justice is not the first game that i made with alcohol......i have other cds that i made last year and i play them in dreamcast......and i,m using the same media - verbatim......the only difference for me is that the old ones that are playable in dreamcast were made choosing in alcohol dao/sao and this one new was made choosing raw/dao...other diferences i don't see........only this: i have another optical drive.......and maybe another new version of alcohol........but you can consider those the answer to the problem.......

I will check that guide to....

• 8 months later...

i just registered to post this little tip, if the newly burned game will not boot and says "please insert disc" keep trying, open and close the dreamcast lid at least a good 10 times and the game will boot, in my case my dreamcast is a bit temperamental but it does work.

guide works perfectly btw, thanks.

Thats usually not the disk's fault. Thats your dreamcast giving you problems, maybe the laser is misaligned or its just about to die.

If the disk works, it'll work the first time, assuming you used a, blank scratch-free, CDr.

• 1 month later...

I followed this but all my games come up as audio CDs. what am i doing wrong :[

i tested them in nullDC, they all work but dont work in my dreamcast D;

EDIT: I got half life to work. now i cant get sonic adventure to work

Edited by Konner

• 1 month later...

For some reason alcohol120% won't allow me to burn "Fighting Vipers 2.mds"

Any suggestions as to what I should do?

Keeps saying "unrecognized file format for recording." for some reason.

EDIT: Never mind, I found my original bruned copy of this game.

• 2 months later...

I replaced my old dreamcast a while ago coz it was broken, kept resetting itself, and the new one I got off ebay was one of the later revisions where normal selfboots won't work. So I ended up replacing all my old burned cdrs with originals. Much better that way, although newer rips of DC games include a workaround that allows them to boot on even the revised dreamcasts like mine. They work when the cdi is bunt with Discjuggler.