Warehousing sites

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Funny, I didn't actually post. I had it on quick reply but didn't press the post button. It takes me a long time to answer anyway because I get easily distracted. This post will get edited with a full response once I collect my ideas into one.

edit:

You posted half and hour ago.. ? Btw I'm not trying to make any of this sound personal (although I realise it does). I just think the practice really cheats the authors out of their dues. In defending that you're trying to downplay the value of the author's work, which I don't think is cool.

EDIT: Added to the other post- you don't need to register in order to establish copyright.

However, you said '"Creating" is an overstatement' with regard to MUGEN works, which is an equally pejorative way of looking at it as saying it is not art and not worth protecting. And what's wrong with GameFAQs?

I know you're not trying to make it sound personal, and I enjoy the intelligent discourse and aggressive defense that you put up. I said "creating" is an overstatement. Let me clarify. This pertains, in my view, only to characters, stages etc. that would count as derivate work, i.e. "Orochi Terry", not completely original characters such as Dragon Claw. Since you're basically just gluing some sprites together, how is that "creating"? Creating is when you drawn your own sprites, records your own sounds and generally do something from scratch. Dragon Claw was created, Reu's other characters, Evil Ryu and Evil Ken were sewn together. It's just that simple. Yes I do that they are worth protecting regardless, but at the cost of the author's right to distribution.

Nothing is wrong with GameFAQS per se, I just used it to exemplify the bandwagon I was referring to. Simply put, people copy the idea of "legal stuff" from reading other FAQs. If the first FAQ creators hadn't put this in their FAQs, then I seriously believe that no one would've started doing so on their own. They're just following a trend, it's "cool" to have copyright. You realize this by reading various "legal sections" in each FAQs... And this can be applied to MUGEN developers.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do always get a good chuckle when reading the Legal section of a faq.

this whole thing really bores me, even when the authors have the rights you guys talk about, the way an author talks about their own work always sounds so arrogant, i am not much into it but i guess the guys who make this stuff are mainly teenagers

I have a hard time believing that. every ripped sprite came from an illegal rom. somehow these illegal roms images are transformed into fan art with a sprite ripper and a txt file. O...K....

LMFAO!

Logic Error!

Capcom vs Snk 1 and 2

Neo Geo Battle Colliseum

Marvel vs capcom 2

Melty Blood series

Guilty Gear Series

DragonBall Z Boudokai

Samurai Shodown Tenkachi

Oh man I can go on.

I never knew there were roms for those games? HA!

I despise people that think they know everything and dont know a damn thing from the beginning and yes there are characters made from those sprites.

Seriously, Warehousing is wrong and there will always be creators like myself opposing it. We have reasons and we have the right to protect our materials whether you like it or not.

Simple as that.

Instead of leeching, try to contribute sometimes.

Edited by -SyN-

Hey guys :P

Just in case you didn't notice yet, here's MFG's position on this whole thing:

http://mugenguild.com/forumx/index.php?topic=62282.0

...if you look around in the mugen community, it's just a question of time before the "OHNOES CREATOR RIGHTS" fraction dies out. Sooner or later, even the most die-hard creator rights supporter will get tired of telling people what they can and what they can't do with the data they download...

I mean seriously, it doesn't work for all those huge companies who want warez/roms/whatever off the net, why would it work for some pissed off mugen fanboys?

Note that I am not saying that this is all "right" and "just", but those people who think acting as mugen police is worth their time should get a life (or more of it), it's just not worth it. It's a game for god's sake.

Hey guys :P

Just in case you didn't notice yet, here's MFG's position on this whole thing:

http://mugenguild.com/forumx/index.php?topic=62282.0

...if you look around in the mugen community, it's just a question of time before the "OHNOES CREATOR RIGHTS" fraction dies out. Sooner or later, even the most die-hard creator rights supporter will get tired of telling people what they can and what they can't do with the data they download...

I mean seriously, it doesn't work for all those huge companies who want warez/roms/whatever off the net, why would it work for some pissed off mugen fanboys?

Note that I am not saying that this is all "right" and "just", but those people who think acting as mugen police is worth their time should get a life (or more of it), it's just not worth it. It's a game for god's sake.

We take the same stance on warez / roms etc. here at 1Emulation as we do on warehousing. Just because sh!t happens out there is no reason to bow down and change our policy and do the wrong thing.

Thanks for posting Valodim.

We're also affiliates with Mugen Fighters Guild and once their rules allow warehousing, we will as well. Otherwise, their rules stand here on 1Emulation. :)

Excellent post Valodim, it is even more permissive than my ideas, but I have no problem with that.

Links to so-called "warehouses" are now, at least from our side, fully tolerated, and there might soon even emerge a number of new sites which aim to host as many creations as possible, which you can enjoy to the fullest without anyone judging you--grasp as many characters and stages as you can, if that is your cup of tea.

Sounds good to me.

The last thing I want to see is forums acting as if they are extensions of the police force, or of corporate policy. Leave policing to the police.

excellent post Valodin and great MUGEN site for what I remember, in the end everyone will see thar warehousing is not sth negative but the opposite and that people are making a lot of fuss for sth it is not worth it.

I have a hard time believing that. every ripped sprite came from an illegal rom. somehow these illegal roms images are transformed into fan art with a sprite ripper and a txt file. O...K....

LMFAO!

Logic Error!

Capcom vs Snk 1 and 2

Neo Geo Battle Colliseum

Marvel vs capcom 2

Melty Blood series

Guilty Gear Series

DragonBall Z Boudokai

Samurai Shodown Tenkachi

Oh man I can go on.

I never knew there were roms for those games? HA!

I despise people that think they know everything and dont know a damn thing from the beginning and yes there are characters made from those sprites.

Seriously, Warehousing is wrong and there will always be creators like myself opposing it. We have reasons and we have the right to protect our materials whether you like it or not.

Simple as that.

Instead of leeching, try to contribute sometimes.

*cough* pirated copies *cough* your reply wasn't even argument-worthy... especially after knowing full-well inky does not dabble AT ALL in MUGEN.

epic fail.

Thanks for posting Valodim.

We're also affiliates with Mugen Fighters Guild and once their rules allow warehousing, we will as well. Otherwise, their rules stand here on 1Emulation. smile.gif

If you would've taken the time to read Valodim's link, you would've seen that they now allow warehousing. Guess it's time to change the rules, buddy boy.

lol @ Epic Fail.

Be original.

As far as Valodim's statement, That don't concern me. That site went to hell afterwards anyway.

So I guess this means 1emulation is now a warehouse as well.

Oh well,

As long I don't see my stuff here without my consent, I don't care. I can't speak for others btw.

Do what you will.