Warehousing sites

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I understand megaman is against the practice of linking warehousing sites, for obvious reasons. However I wish to change that. That decision was made by him and I am personally against it. We should really comment on this however, just to give this poll a start, I'll leave it at that.

Also, to clarify, warehousing sites are sites that host M.U.G.E.N. developers' works without asking their permission first. This would include characters, stages and other MUGEN-related works. I am pro warehousing sites because many great characters are lost because their original creators' sites often go down without further notice and it becomes increasingly difficult if not impossible for the common M.U.G.E.N. user to get a hold of them. Naturally, this would not go against the rule that states that, should you release a mugen creation, you'd have to ask for the author's permission to release the game in the first place. Discuss.

edit: I accidentally null voted instead of voting for Yes. 1emu really needs a "view results" that doesn't destroy your right to vote. so remember to add 1 to the yes votes always when counting.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dun really mess with mugen anymore but I know how hard it can be to find what you are looking for. authors drop out of site and then all the sudden no one is supposed to use thier stuff unless they know someone who has it. it's ridiculous. once it is out there. it should be out there for everyone. thats kind of the point of emulation and mugen I think.

so yeah I vote yes.

I voted no.

My 2 cents about all this;

Any site that compiles author's work without their permission is wrong, and should not be supported. Maybe many MUGEN asset creators disappear because the scene doesn't properly respect their creations? You may think that not listing warehousing sites is a disservice to the end users, but their existence might be an even bigger deterrent to those people out there creating the content.

I don't know if this is the case with MUGEN or not, but on moral grounds I have to say no; keep them off 1emu.

I voted no.

My 2 cents about all this;

Any site that compiles author's work without their permission is wrong, and should not be supported. Maybe many MUGEN asset creators disappear because the scene doesn't properly respect their creations? You may think that not listing warehousing sites is a disservice to the end users, but their existence might be an even bigger deterrent to those people out there creating the content.

I don't know if this is the case with MUGEN or not, but on moral grounds I have to say no; keep them off 1emu.

Since I'm not that much of a MUGEN aficionado, my opinion may be silly but so far I doubt that hosting their work without their permission would cause them to disappear completely. As I see it, when an author gets tired of updating his characters or other MUGEN work, he leaves it on his site. After a while that site may go down because of hosting costs. Then those works become extremely hard to get and in the end, isn't that the purpose anyway? It's certainly very sad when great characters disappear because of their creator's lack of interest.

Let's be realistic here, no one is going to sue anyone for hosting their MUGEN works, simply because 80% of them are sprite rips that actually belong to a real company, hence not the MUGEN developer's original property. That's why MUGEN developers don't actually sell their works. They'd get a bunch of legal problems in heartbeat from the actual owners.

On the other hand this doesn't stand for completely original MUGEN characters like the late Reuben Kee's Dragon Claw character. That's actually 100% original and copyrighted. Not sure how the climate is around major sprite edits tho, like making a character from Ryu's stance sprite but completely redrawing it inside so it looks like something else, only with Ryu's outline.

Regarding the existence of warehouse sites that would detere MUGEN developers from releasing their work, I fail to see how they'd actually do that.

It's all a matter of respect though. People spend time and energy making things. Whether they are derivative works or not, the authors deserve to be respected, credited and asked for permission, if not compensated. Its that simple- warehousing sites could seek that permission if they could be bothered.

Just because you necessarily relinquish some measure of control over work when you post on the net, other people shouldn't have the right to do whatever they want with it. I didn't say lawsuits would come into it, but that's a good illustration of my point. Let's say some bozo somewhere prints off a disc with a lot of MUGEN assets and sells it for a sum money, none of which finds its way to the individual authors? That much is obviously unfair- the only difference between that scenario and warehousing the files is that the theft becomes intellectual- the authors are still being robbed of something.

So again I don't know jack all about MUGEN but on principle archiving other people's stuff without their consent is irresponsible. I stand by my no. If this kind of thing happened to anything I authored, it would absolutely deter me from releasing any more work in the same channels.

That's true but the "bozo" scenario happens either way. That's really besides the point, considering we're asking just to allow the linking to warehousing sites. As well as the fact that I'm not advocating doing whatever we want with the developer's work, I'm simply saying that we should be able to actually play with it, in this case, play with the characters/stages etc., because I still fail to see how, by simply making the developer's work more widespread and available, we'd be automatically disrespecting and discrediting him etc.

I am with you Axl, besides, linking to a warehousing site it;s just that, then in the end it comes to everyones personal choice, in case the author still has a site then you will always visit that site first since there you will be able to find the his latest works instead of getting some old work somewhere else

I am with you Axl, besides, linking to a warehousing site it;s just that, then in the end it comes to everyones personal choice, in case the author still has a site then you will always visit that site first since there you will be able to find the his latest works instead of getting some old work somewhere else

My point exactly, in the end, if you care about updating your MUGEN, you'll always visit author's sites regularly for updates anyway. My main problem here is that, you can't just go googling for MUGEN developers instantly. It's they were all put in a list of sites at least, it would be so much easier.

It's looks like BlackKnight is the only one here with some sense.

from reviewing this topic, you seem like that you are desperate and wiling to take whatever means to get what you want despite the creators wishes, but apparently it don't matter you you.

Just as long as you get what you want, the hell what others thinks.

As far as rules and such being made about certain creations. Those creators, such as myself, have that right!

We take the time out of our daily schedule to create such things and no its not an easy task. Let me clear something up, We as creators make stuff for mugen because we find it an enjoyable hobby, we don't create for you, but we may share our creations with the internet. Thats our choice and all we ask for something simple as do not distribute our works out side of our site.

Now you speak of creations and authors leaving the scene without notice. Ever take a minute and think what would be the cause behind that? You topic fully support what I just explained.

Anyway I am definitely against this and you know whats the funny part of all of this?

You guys find a leaked character warehoused on a site, you break your necks to get that creation, then you start crying about its broken or crappy.

What you expect from betas being leaked by random jerks?