Mortal Kombat 3 Mame Cab Built From Scratch

What exactly is that cabinet? Does it run Windows or something? Sorry for the silly questions but I just can't see where or how'd you'd fit that many games and into what?

And on top of it all, I don't really see why you guys like cabinets that much. To me they're just a gigantic waste of space. A proper games collection should be on a DVD or something, ccompanied by a perfectly optimized emulator, ready to be run on a PC at a moment's notice.

What exactly is that cabinet? Does it run Windows or something? Sorry for the silly questions but I just can't see where or how'd you'd fit that many games and into what?

And on top of it all, I don't really see why you guys like cabinets that much. To me they're just a gigantic waste of space. A proper games collection should be on a DVD or something, ccompanied by a perfectly optimized emulator, ready to be run on a PC at a moment's notice.

I have a computer inside that runs all the games. Having the cabinets is more of a nostalgia reason than anything else. Reminds me of being young and imagining one day actually having the game and now I do.

Edited by MK3Fan

• 2 weeks later...

Finally broke down and got some full sideart for the machine from the great services of Scott at www.mamemarquees.com. Only problem is that he just stretched the "Medallion" sideart so it isn't JUST right. I had it printed 2" taller than the factory art because I built the machine that way. The result is that the "MK3" is cropped off. I'll have to live with it. It's still better than what I had, so I am grateful. It wasn't easy changing the art out, but I think it turned out well. Here are some pics.

index.jpg

index2.jpg

index3.jpg

index4.jpg

index5.jpg

index6.jpg

index7.jpg

index8.jpg

index9.jpg

index10.jpg

Looks absolutely fantastic! You're definitely a wonderful craftsman. I can't believe you made the MK3 cabinet from scratch. Were you unable to find an MK3 cabinet off eBay or you really wanted to make it by hand?

Anyway, keep up the great work. :)

Looks absolutely fantastic! You're definitely a wonderful craftsman. I can't believe you made the MK3 cabinet from scratch. Were you unable to find an MK3 cabinet off eBay or you really wanted to make it by hand?

Anyway, keep up the great work. :)

Thanks for the kind words. My main problem at the time was, yes there were Midway cabs on Ebay, but I was living in Hawaii and shipping for the cab would be around $1000. So I figured that it would be cheaper to just build my own. It turned out to be cheaper just building the cab than buying one and having it shipped, but after buying all the new parts (i.e. new monitor, computer, RGB video card, wiring, buttons, joysticks, etc.), I was sitting at around $3000. It ended up being cheaper just building my own.

• 10 months later...