New PSU Issue

veristic

My 550w PSU has two fans, one of which doesn't automatically spin anymore and I have to turn it myself after the comps been turned on for a while so it'll start spinning and stay spinning. Anyway the other night my comp wouldn't stay on after 5 seconds or so of turning on the power. This happened several times where I used different power cables to try and turn it on. Eventually late at night it turned on but I decided its about time I get a new PSU.

So I went out today and got a 650w Thermaltake Toughpower with cable management and all that. Hooked it up and started her up. The LED's flashed for a split second but then stopped and the comp was shutdown. A few seconds later I see some smoke puffing out from the top of the chassis. I wasn't facing the side where I can see inside the case so I don't know exactly where it came from. But after unplugging and re-plugging the power cord and pressing the power button, it started up and has been working.

What do you think happened? And what should I do? Should I return the PSU and exchange it? I dunno if that smoke damaged the PSU or not...

I got it from Fry's so I have 15 days I guess.

You should NEVER see smoke come from a PSU, EVER. Take it back and return it ASAP.

Also, do you have a surge protector? You should always hook up your electronics to one. I have my PC and everything for it (printer etc) on a surge protector, as well as my TV and consoles etc on one.

I've seen PSU's blow up due to a surge.

You should NEVER see smoke come from a PSU, EVER. Take it back and return it ASAP.

Also, do you have a surge protector? You should always hook up your electronics to one. I have my PC and everything for it (printer etc) on a surge protector, as well as my TV and consoles etc on one.

I've seen PSU's blow up due to a surge.

Yeah I have a surge.