The Big ass Street Fighter IV thread

Inky

Games need stories. I've said so elsewhere. What I meant above is that a character doesn't need a story to determine whether or not the character design is good, especially if little / none of their story is in the game itself, but sourced from other materials.

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Games need stories. I've said so elsewhere. What I meant above is that a character doesn't need a story to determine whether or not the character design is good, especially if little / none of their story is in the game itself, but sourced from other materials.

Of course they do! That's the whole point of a backstory. It shows you how that character became the way he is now. It's crucial. Otherwise you'd have, say Ryu and then Satsui no Hadou ni Mezameta Ryu and you wouldn't know what to make of them. A design is the sum of all things related to that character.

That's where I disagree. I play SFA3U, play as 'Evil Ryu' and don't know what he's about except that he now has gone over to the dark side or something such. To get the full story I have to go elsewhere outside the game. That's not just because of a sparing localisation either.

For that reason I think those details are negligible. If it wasn't fitting enough for the creators to have in the game, then the character may as well be judged without it.

That's where I disagree. I play SFA3U, play as 'Evil Ryu' and don't know what he's about except that he now has gone over to the dark side or something such. To get the full story I have to go elsewhere outside the game. That's not just because of a sparing localisation either.

For that reason I think those details are negligible. If it wasn't fitting enough for the creators to have in the game, then the character may as well be judged without it.

True, but the same could be said about the majority of fighting games anyway. They don't shelve out stories or bios. It is annoying to go outside of the game to get the full details on that character, but I find that once that's over with you get a much better feeling for said characters. I consider that a game development flaw. True, for an arcade game that's not much of an issue but in home ports they could add story modes or bios as extra options.

Us Europeans and the Asians however see the superiority in it's design and can enjoy it to its fullest extent. So do South Americans for that matter.

Not true. KOF is more popular in more far eastern places, such as Pakistan, Korea, Taiwan, HK and Japan then in the Europe, while bootleg culture has lead Mexico and the beyond south to be fully exposed to not only the originals, but hacks of games running on real hardware, while they are no doubt good, they simply don't have the money to fly out and play the best in Japan every year.

While European SNK scene is alright, it still outshined by Capcom and 3rd Strike. To support my statement, Tougeki France didn't bother to make qualifiers for TenKa, KOFXI, KOF98 and more recently KOF98UM due to having not many registrations for those games. Tougeki Japan was willing to give an extra international spot for those games (the special seeds for Europe, Aus, America and HK). TF didn't even bother to include HnK into this year's qualifier, but that game isn't as popular anywhere other then HK and Japan.

FUDGE THOSE PLOTS!

IF RYu's back story was a school kid who used to get swirlies from fat school girls, but now he's training becuz some girl he liked slept with his brother, and he seeking revenge; what feeling would the put on you, playing as him?

NOOONE!

WHether he was a nerd or just some weird fighter who has nothing better to do but seek out fights until somehow(dont know when) he gets his ultimate high from the fight of his life!

HE IS STILL THE HAdouken guy!

I can barely tell u anything about Shoma from RS's back story but he's a dude with a bat and he can own!

ALl i need to know.

Im gonna be owning online with pple all over the world! WTF I look like, waisting time on caring about his story!?!?!? Just show me the combo vids and the training selection screen and thats all i friggin need.

Save the bs storylines for RPGs and FPS....

*Excuse my strong ,barbaric tone*

Seth Killian (S-kill) is pretty much one of the OGs of the SF American community. The man has been competeting pro for 15 years I believe and helps organize EVO with SRK in conjunction with working with Capcom.

That skill comes with the profile, he's using Gief btw, Ryu was CPU.