The Big ass Street Fighter IV thread

Inky

Still waiting on that ST matchup bam :clapping:

(theres an easier way now if your familiar with the FBA emulator, it's called GGPO)

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Still waiting on that ST matchup bam :D

(theres an easier way now if your familiar with the FBA emulator, it's called GGPO)

I'm getting it :clapping:

Because a tester's job is to find something broken in the game. They don't check *every* single detail, but they check a good portion of it. It's up to the players to find what's linkable, cancelable and abusable.

I'm getting it :clapping:

Best check the online gaming forum. A bunch of us talked about it. 2nd page is importantish.

I don't think he means games testers per se, but the ones at the location tests who play and have cam vids posted online of them.

They all suck, and I don't understand why someone who can't play SF would line up and wait to play the new one either.

Yamazaki? I wasn't thinking of Ash but let's include him in this too- all SNK characters with personality are weirdos. Street Fighter is not realistic in the least, but it treads the line been cartoony characters and real ones quite well. KoF just goes way over and looses itself in strangeness. Discretion is the order of the day methinks. Vega, Blanka and Sagat just have so much more going for them than your Blue Marys, Ioris and Oswalds. Motion-wise. Looks-wise. And so on and on.

In fact I think its that excessive outlandish design of KoF that made it almost completely unpalatable and/or offensive to the western mainstream. SF2 caught on in a big way, but Fatal Fury, Art of Fighting and the early King of Fighters didn't. Why?

Uhm, that's only in a case by case basis. Same goes for KoF. If you take a look at Goro and Zangief, they could pass as real personalities any day. I don't see this strangeness you keep mentioning at all. If you would actually know what the characters are supposed to act like you'd know they fit the description perfectly. Yamazaki is a psychotic mobster. He does the job perfectly. Blanka has nothing going for him, he's just a green brute stock character. Sagat had potential and evolved quite well. And Vega is superb just the way he is. Sure, the new characters added in the latest installments are somewhat lacking. I don't consider Oswald on par personality-wise with older characters for instance.

I will not deny that the Street Fighter characters have some spunk in them, it's just that they need to have it unlocked for them to truly shine. I'm pretty sure SF4 will do them good.

You say KoF looses itself in strangeness? Why, just because they use more/bigger energy moves? That's a non-argument right there.

The only reason why KoF and the like did not catch on that well in the west is because of the Street Fighter craze. Us Europeans and the Asians however see the superiority in it's design and can enjoy it to its fullest extent. So do South Americans for that matter.

Wiz says that KoF chars are made from what was going on at the time. Fair enough. It's great to see how Japanese popular culture has evolved over time, and what SNK's twists to the various crazes are. But what about characters like the ones from Samurai Spirits or especially Last Blade? Nothing you can argue there, just awesomely-designed characters.

Now you've got Crimson Viper who is just a very very late Vanessa copy with a crappy name. Bring back the Alpha characters for the love of God those were awesome...

To summarize, it's a case by case basis, but if you were to draw the line and get an average, SNK would always win.

And as an advice to you BK, read SNK character bios and stories. Then you'll see how awesome they really are.

I character in a fighting game doesn't need a story, especially if its only espoused in a few lines of text before and after their arcade ladder.

A design is a design- that's why Blanka is invariably more interesting that some skinny Japanese adolescent, no matter what backstory they may or may not have. If you're making a case for the plotline behind KoF you're going off topic and FYI I know every bit of trivia about the SNK characters that there is to know. But again, pages of text do not a good design make. Yamazaki, for example, is a mobster... but who cares? He is just some guy dressed in boring grey who pulls out a knife every now and then, jumps and grapples in one of his supers and can counter some crap. There is no cohesion, no real sense of direction for the guy and no real way of moving that makes him different to anyone else. If he didn't hang his tongue out and make weird ass sounds, he would be as nondescript as the next guy. Blanka has a distinct visual style. And a distinct way of moving in 2d space. You say he is a stock character because he is a brute and green? How many of them roll in balls and move about the arena like a monkey? His bio is shallow at best but does that really matter in terms of him essentially being a tool in a game?

I am limiting this to KoF and its sister series FF and AoF, but I stand by what I say. The size of a Kaiser Wave doesn't make Krauser any less of a sickening shirtless old man with purple hair and revealing pants. That sh!t doesn't fly, but neither does his approach to the fight. He does some unco-pseudo-wrestling moves that flounder about and then throws a big fireball when it suits him. He also lacks cohesion.

2d sprite based fighters need to be defined by 2 things in my book. A visual impact and a unique way of negotiating space. Almost every single Street Fighter has these things, but only very few KoF fighters do. I agree its a case by case thing and if you'd like me to explain my reasoning for any particular character I will. Vega, Guile, Sagat, M.Bison, Adon, Urien, Dhalsim, Hugo... Iori fits the bill, but he is the only one from the KoF camp I can think of at the moment. Maybe Duo Lon, Whip... I dunno.

Us Europeans and the Asians however see the superiority in it's design and can enjoy it to its fullest extent. So do South Americans for that matter.

The last thing I don't get is how you think so highly of yourself for preferring KoF to SF. It's one thing to prefer a game over another, but another thing entirely took look down on people who fail to see the obvious 'superiority' of your game. KoF is not devoid of merit- I like the series. But not a single one in its long sordid history is as polished, balanced or overall as well 'designed' as 3S, and that wasn't even part of the 'Street Fighter craze'.

From the way you talked in that last post, I think you think of SNK games as the cool underground alternative to the uncool mainstream Street Fighter series. If so, that's pretty sad.

Us Europeans and the Asians however see the superiority in it's design and can enjoy it to its fullest extent. So do South Americans for that matter.

The last thing I don't get is how you think so highly of yourself for preferring KoF to SF. It's one thing to prefer a game over another, but another thing entirely took look down on people who fail to see the obvious 'superiority' of your game. KoF is not devoid of merit- I like the series. But not a single one in its long sordid history is as polished, balanced or overall as well 'designed' as 3S, and that wasn't even part of the 'Street Fighter craze'.

From the way you talked in that last post, I think you think of SNK games as the cool underground alternative to the uncool mainstream Street Fighter series. If so, that's pretty sad.

can't agree more, btw Axl we know u love Kof so get out of here plz? cuz i want to know more about Street Fighter IV and not KoF

I love both KOF and SF series. Storyline is a MUST in my opinion. I love to use Zangief to complete the game just to see Zangief dancing. Lame story but still a story. KOF series boast a far superior storyline during the Orochi era but went downhill after that. But still, storyline is a motivation for me to play the game when playing alone.