Computer Went Kaput Ya?

Wizard

So, my computer decided to finally die on me. My PSU decided to fry itself and hopefully it didn't take anything else with it. Still working on recovering the drives provided they weren't taken out with it as well.

So, at the discrestion of my dad, to make a list of good quality parts, at a modest price possible, from NCIX.com (because they SHIP to Canadia or possibly any other vendor that ships to the great White North). SLI is not needed, but if there's killer deal recommend it, triple points if it's forward compatible with 45nm Core Duos, OCZ or Kingston ram are the only brands I trust, for mobos, Asus, DFI or Giga. As for CPU, Going towards the duos

No case, no monitor, no KB needed and hopefully no HDDs.

So far I've decided;

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=23934 OCZ Stealthxstream 600W ATX12V 20/24PIN Active PFC ATX

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=25369 Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L ATX LGA775

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=19337 OCZ Platinum XTC REV.2 PC2-6400 2GB

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=25297 Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 Dual Core Processor

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=27091 EVGA E-GEFORCE 8800GTS

Planning to go with those if there are no recommendations until possibly a few weeks from now before Jesus Day/Chrismanunnkwanza.

Gigabyte boards are awesome, I usually end up with either an Asus or a Gigabyte, DFI is awesome, evga makes some good boards as well.

Anyway, none of that looks like bad stuff, but what is the PC going to be used for primarily? Gaming? Do you want to overclock? and not to drop names or anything but I post at another forum called BlazingPC thats great for this stuff, search around for info if not join.

EDIT: Oh and BTW, That 8800GTS you have selected is the 8800GTS with added pixel shaders, which is the first enhanced revision, Recently another revision came out that uses the G92 chip - an entirely new chip also used in the 8800GT, and is currently the fastest card you can get besides the 8800 Ultra in some cases.

Gigabyte boards are awesome, I usually end up with either an Asus or a Gigabyte, DFI is awesome, evga makes some good boards as well.

Anyway, none of that looks like bad stuff, but what is the PC going to be used for primarily? Gaming? Do you want to overclock? and not to drop names or anything but I post at another forum called BlazingPC thats great for this stuff, search around for info if not join.

EDIT: Oh and BTW, That 8800GTS you have selected is the 8800GTS with added pixel shaders, which is the first enhanced revision, Recently another revision came out that uses the G92 chip - an entirely new chip also used in the 8800GT, and is currently the fastest card you can get besides the 8800 Ultra in some cases.

Pssh nigga, you should know me by now. Gaming/Multimedia. And yes I do plan on OCing MAYBE.

Everything accomendates me for the most part, but still waiting for a bit. Too bad I won't know for sure until next week.

A lot of users have fantastic luck with the Asus P5K line. Get the Asus P5K Deluxe if you have the money, If you want to save some (the only difference is a slightly inferior cooling system to the deluxe - which basically limits your overclocking by a small amount which you don't seem to be too concerned with anyway) get the vanilla P5K.

The only drawback/advantage depending on how you look at it, is this board as well as the one you selected use the P35 Chipset, you have an Nvidia GPU selected, and this chipset does NOT do SLI, however it DOES do Crossfire, So if you want to go dual video cards later on down the road i'd pick out an ATi card.

If you want to stick with SLI/Nvidia go for a 680i board, the evgas are fantastic, just pick one that suits your needs, that or go with an Asus. I use the Asus P5N32-E SLI, Fantastic board, its the same thing as the Striker Extreme - you can even peel off the label and see where it says Striker Extreme under it, but without all the fancy lights/screens on it. Lots of cool mods for it too. (There IS a vdroop mod and one for more VCore as well as a few other less significant things)

So I went looking into that board you recommended Shib. Looks great but with a heafty price tag of 233 CAD. My limit is just about 900 dollars and that would of put me over. Unless I get a different video card or CPU. But I am still keeping my options open. If I do change CPU, would a 6x50 Core 2 Duo suffice my needs in both OCing and all around multimedianess?