I need some RAM!

Alpha

I've had only 1GB of ram since I purchased my computer. I need some good DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) ram memory. I want to play some of the newer PC games and 1GB of ram is just not going to cut it anymore.

Anyway, I've been looking at some ram and I have no idea what to buy. Is there a big difference of Cas Latency of 5 vs. 4?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820231098

How does that one look? Is it sufficient?

I have 2 sticks of 512mb of ram so far to total 1GB of ram. How can I check without opening the computer what the specs are on the ram I currently have? Is there any program I can use? And I don't want to have to set the timing or voltage on any new ram I buy. I want it to work as soon as I snap them in. :peopleseybrow:

Thanks for the help.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I thought 1 gig of ram was sufficient. I just upgraded from 512 to 1 gig. You may have already done this, but you need to make sure your chosen ram will work with your motherboard. What I did was I used Belarc Advisor to pick up my mobo specs (it's a great free program for getting the technical details out of your pc) and then searched for ram that would work with my mobo. Then I took the required specs I found, put em in Newegg, and got RAM that works perfectly in my pc.

2gb of ram isp retty good for most computing tasks. More is always nicer, but unless you are running a 64 bit operating system you cant take advantage of more than 4gb of ram.

fixed.

2gb of ram isp retty good for most computing tasks. More is always nicer, but unless you are running a 64 bit operating system you cant take advantage of more than 4gb of ram.

fixed.

Nothing to fix. 3-3.5 gb is the limit for 32 bit operating systems.

Go install 4 gb of ram on your system than load a 32 bit os and print a screen shot of how much ram is showing up.

Unless you overclock, you wont notice a difference in cas latency.

Go to http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php and grab Cpu-z.

That should tell you what memory you have. If you dont want any bottle necking, get the ram with the same specs.

Nice program! Definitely what I needed ... here are the screenshots for my ram information:

gcramlx1.png

So it seems like I have Corsair 512MB (PC2-6400 / DDR2 800 / Cas Latency 5).... Right?

Is it better if I stick with the same brand for the 2 extra 1GB sticks of ram? The only reason why I haven't been focusing on Corsair ram is that people have been complaining on NewEgg that they are not receiving their rebates. Can you suggest me some specific product items on NewEgg for 2GB of ram?

Thanks guys. :P