IDE HDD scans randomly when i start up my pc.

SF2MJ

I recently upgraded my motherboard ect.

I purchased a sata hdd and formatted it using NTFS.

But i also had an IDE hdd from a previous pc that i installed into the new motherboard.The hdd is plugged into an IDE PCI card,because i am using the other ide slots on my motherboard for something else.Also the old hdd is in FAT32 format.

It all works well but some days when i first turn on the pc my windows xp checks my hdd that's plugged into my ide pci card for errors.It never finds any and continues to load up my desktop....but it's just starting to get annoying when every now and then it will check for errors on startup.

Anybody know why it might do that?...could it be because it's in a different file format to the sata drive...or could the hdd be on it's way out?.

Another question i have is my sata drive was 160gb.I installed it into my pc and partioned it with xp pro....then noticed when i finally had everything ready to go 21gb was missing.

I went into disk management in control panel and noticed it said i had 21gb unallocated.

Is there a way fix this?.When i right click on the unallocated part...it only gives me the option of "new partion".

Any help with these problems would be appreciated.

You'll have to wipe the partion and start from scratch to get all that space back as 1. Otherwise, you'll need some partitioning software (I recommend Partition Magic 8, nothing newer as Symantec bought it after that and who knows what they've done with it)

download a program called Active smart and run it - it can tell you if the drives own monitoring is picking anything up.

As for the disc probs, is it actually showing disc checker running, if its just thrashing then it could be the disc indexing service doing its thing.

If not then my best guess is that it might have write caching enabled and the power to the drive is going off before the drive can finish writing. Try diasabling it (Device manger, Hard drive properties, Policies Tab) and see if it still happens.