SSF2T HD FAQ

BlackKnight

SSF2T HD Remix FAQ

Is the gameplay the same as Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo?

You actually get two games in one in this package:

1) SSF2T HD Remix

2) SSF2T HD Classic Arcade

SSF2T HD Remix is a brand new game. It’s a sequel to SSF2T, with over 100 changes to improve the balance and playability.

SSF2T HD Classic Arcade has the same gameplay as the original Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo. It does NOT have any of the easier joystick motions, command changes, bug fixes, or gameplay tweaks that you might have heard about in SSF2T HD Remix. Our goal is to make SSF2T HD Classic Arcade as close as possible to the gameplay of the original arcade ST in every way.

You don’t have to worry about which game you might like, because you get both of them together!

Is the rebalanced game (SSF2THDR) intended only for beginners? I heard someone say it’s “dumbed down.”

Although easier special move timings will help beginners, the rebalanced game is intended to be the tournament standard played by pros. The pros can already perform almost any move with staggering precision, so changes to move commands won’t affect them very much. The balance changes of hitboxes, recoveries, and other move properties will definitely affect the gameplay at the pro level though. Most of the balance changes are specifically aimed at the very highest level of tournament play in the world. (Plus several additions for the sake of fun that don’t ruin the balance.)

We hope that players will find the rebalanced game “smartened up,” rather than dumbed down. Making various special moves a bit easier to perform puts more emphasis on strategy and reading the mind of your opponent. Likewise, strengthening the low tier characters will put more emphasis on player skill and less on disparities between characters. While we hope beginners will find the game more accessible, make no mistake that we intend the game to be more strategically interesting at the tournament level than ever before.

Will each game have separate rankings?

Yes. Similar to X and X’ modes in Puzzle Fighter, there will be separate leaderboards for SSF2T HD Remix and SSF2T HD Classic Arcade.

Do both games have new art?

Yes. All the character sprites, backgrounds, projectiles, effects, UI, and menus are redone in HD. Every piece of art is new whether you play the classic game or the new game.

Is the game widescreen 16:9 or is it 4:3?

It’s both. If you have a widescreen tv, the menu screens and character select screen will always be widescreen. You can choose whether to view the gameplay itself in either the original 4:3 or the new 16:9. The 16:9 mode zooms in to fill your screen, and also adjusts the camera movement to pan up when necessary. The 16:9 mode does not alter gameplay at all. In fact, you can play in the 4:3 mode while your networked opponent plays in the 16:9 mode, and neither of you will even know how the other is viewing the game.

Is the game 1080p?

Like most 1080p games, SSF2T HD Remix does render in full 1080p with no hardware scaling. Our goal is actually a higher standard for 1080p where every pixel on screen maps 1:1 with a pixel from the source texture. There are very few games that meet this standard, and it would be nearly impossible for a 3D game to do so with today’s hardware. Every piece of art in our entire game—from menus to life bars to backgrounds to character sprites—is being created at 1080p resolution.

Because of download size limits, we are not yet sure if we can meet our goal of 1:1 pixels. Maybe we will be able to do further optimizations to meet it, or maybe the download size limits will change. In the absolute worst case though, the game will still output a 1080p signal and will still have 1:1 1080p source resolution for all text, all UI elements such as life bars and super meters, and even the foreground elements on all the stages. Only the characters and far backgrounds might have to use 720p source art scaled to 1080p.

Even though this worst case still leaves the game a 1080p game, we are still working toward our goal of a 1080p signal with 100% 1080p source art as well.

Is there new music?

Yes, all the stages will have new remixed music.

Is this game based on the Dreamcast version of SSF2T? I thought people wanted the arcade version.

Yes it is based on the Dreamcast version. The Dreamcast version has many fixes and features over the arcade version. It has random character select, a training mode, a versus mode, and lots of bug fixes such the ability to do reversal supers with Ken/Sagat/Dhalsim, the correct sound effects for hitting with certain normal moves, the correct point values for hitting with certain normal moves, etc. The new gamely in SSF2T HD Remix uses the Dreamcast version as a starting point because we wanted these small bugs fixed.

We also know that everyone wants the arcade version for SSF2T HD Classic Arcade. Luckily, the Dreamcast version contains the source code of the arcade game with internal dipswitches to set gameplay back to the arcade version. We’ve set everything to the 02/23/1994 settings, which should be the same as the arcade version. This allows to have the gameplay of the arcade version with the versus mode, training mode, random select, and damage handicap options of the Dreamcast version.

There are claims that the character sizes are different in the Dreamcast version than arcade. After capturing screens from both versions and comparing, I found that they line up exactly, pixel for pixel. The only difference is that the Dreamcast version introduced a black border around the edges of the video signal that might make the entire game appear to be slightly smaller, depending on your tv. This will not be an issue in our version though, so the character sizes should be exactly like the arcade.

We also noticed that damage dealt appears to be different in the Dreamcast’s versus mode compared with the arcade version. Yes, this is true and it’s due to the way the game handles handicap settings. We changed the handicap formulas so that if you play on the default handicap, the damage dealt will be exactly the same as the arcade version, but now you have the option of having a little more or less life if you want. (Handicap is of course disabled in ranked play and it defaults to off in unranked play, but you can turn it on if you like.)

The game speed is also slightly different depending on which hardware the game runs on. We are still working towards making our speeds match the arcade speeds. They’re close, but we will do more tuning.

Are the “old characters” still in the game?

The original ST game has 16 characters (including Ken, for example), 16 alternate versions (including Old Ken, for example), and Akuma. SSF2T HD Classic Arcade has all these same characters.

SSF2T HD Remix no longer has the 16 “old characters” though. Instead, the highlights of those characters have been incorporated into their mainline counterparts. SSF2T HD Remix has 17 selectable characters.

Is Akuma selectable?

In the original SSF2T, Akuma was a powerful boss character, not intended to be balanced against the rest of the characters. For this reason, he is NOT selectable in online ranked matches in SSF2T HD Classic Arcade. In unranked matches, he will either also be unselectable, or there will be an option to allow/disallow him with the default set to disallow.

In the new SSF2T HD Remix gameplay, Akuma is rebalanced to compete fairly against the other characters. He is allowed and he no longer even requires a secret code to pick him.

Straight from the keyboard of David Sirlin, lead designer.

Source: Capcom.Unity

wellllllll, might be. I am tempted now that there are already 2 guys here where i can play online with :thumbsup1:

Nice. Trust me when I say I'm a lot better at SF2 than I am at KOF2002 :D.

Lol, i would get killed for sure. I sucked at SF2, especially SSF2T :(

I'm really tempted to get an XBOX360 now as can play VF5 with you and Fatal.

Always love to play against human opponents. :P

Lol, i would get killed for sure. I sucked at SF2, especially SSF2T :D

Always love to play against human opponents. :thumbsup1:

I still don't have VF5. Still trying to find where I can get it cheap... probably the US version from somewhere.

So how we do get these games? Is it only available through XBOX Live? If that's the case, then I'm pissed already. :P

You can get it off the XBOX Live! Arcade, or the PlayStation Store. Both charge a fee for it. Microsoft, however, is planning on making their Arcade service a part of Windows Live!, which uses the same currency. I imagine in the future you'll be able to get it for your PC that way, but for now yeh you need XBOX Live.

In case I missed the point of your question, you don't need to be a Gold (paying) subscriber to download the game for the set fee. You only need that if you want to play it online.

Lol, i would get killed for sure. I sucked at SF2, especially SSF2T :D

Always love to play against human opponents. :thumbsup1:

I still don't have VF5. Still trying to find where I can get it cheap... probably the US version from somewhere.

So how we do get these games? Is it only available through XBOX Live? If that's the case, then I'm pissed already. :P

You can get it off the XBOX Live! Arcade, or the PlayStation Store. Both charge a fee for it. Microsoft, however, is planning on making their Arcade service a part of Windows Live!, which uses the same currency. I imagine in the future you'll be able to get it for your PC that way, but for now yeh you need XBOX Live.

In case I missed the point of your question, you don't need to be a Gold (paying) subscriber to download the game for the set fee. You only need that if you want to play it online.

How much is the fee to play the game going to be?

Well a 12 month subscription here is $80AUD and it comes with a headset bundled in. A 3 month subscription is $40AUD. The game itself costs 800 Microsoft Points. Here, 1500 MSP cost $25AUD.

I know its not helpful getting things in a foreign currency but the exchange rate is about 89 US Cents to 1 Australian Dollar atm. Should give you a rough idea at least.