• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other good GBA tactics-RPG games:

Onimusha Tactics

Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis

Shining Force - Resurrection of the Dark Dragon

Zone of the Enders: The Fist of Mars

• 2 months later...

i'd mention might & magic 2 or 3 on super nintendo, just as western rpg examples. they're kind of slow and clunky in combat, but obviously the advantage with an emulator is you can turbo through enemy phase.

main reason i refer them, despite lack of visual character design and awful sound, is as far as rpg's go they're the closest i've played to combining the party structure of eastern rpg's with the free form development (story and acessable game world) of western rpgs (elder scrolls etc).

-

i hope in the future i get to see better realised hybrid rpgs, with party development akin to ff5 or ffTactics and the freedom of exploration seen in western games.

Shin Megami 1 is, unfortunately, horribly glitchy in AGTP's english translation (it wasn't what you'd call thoroughly beta-tested). SMT2, however, has never given me problems.

Now, onto listing...

SNES:

Dragon Quest 1+2, 5, and 6

Chrono Trigger

All FF's

Rudora no Hihou (Treasure of the Rudra's. AGTP did an awesome translation on it)

Star Ocean (biggest SNES cartridge ever. Dejap did a good job on it, though the yes/no choice graphics are still in Japanese. Also, you'll need to use their utility to decompress the graphics. or ZSNES won't run it right)

GBA:

FFTA

Demikids (Megaten may have predated pokemon by nearly a decade, but this is obviously a pokemon clone. However, it's storyline kicks far more ass. Help Lucifer save the world from the evil ruler of heaven (you don't even want to know how THAT happened))

Sword of Mana

Golden Sun 1&2

And an nes one, why not?

Musashi no Bouken (Adventure of Musashi. it has great dialogue like "I will defeat Kojiro, and maybe even get laid!")

Star Ocean (biggest SNES cartridge ever. Dejap did a good job on it, though the yes/no choice graphics are still in Japanese. Also, you'll need to use their utility to decompress the graphics. or ZSNES won't run it right)

Not really. ZSNES has had the S-DD1 decompression chip emulation implemented for a good while now. IIRC, from 1.42 onwards. No graphics packs nor external utilities are needed.

Not really. ZSNES has had the S-DD1 decompression chip emulation implemented for a good while now. IIRC, from 1.42 onwards. No graphics packs nor external utilities are needed.

Really? I'd heard it was so, but never got around to testing it because my copy was already decompressed. I figured it, like the cake, was a lie.

In any case, I forgot to add one of the greatest SNES RPGs of all time to the list: EarthBound. Yes, EarthBound. Do not underestimate the Starman.