Seriously considering getting a PSP

Reaper man

so... castlevania chronicles and Final Fantasy are really pressuring me to get a PSP, but I'm not too sure which to get, you know?

ok, first of all, I want homebrew and the ability to play the latest games. Okie, I have a couple of choices, slim and standard. Now the PSPs that are at gamestop are version 3.71, so they aren't "early versions."

the slims are nice, but more expensive, and I can slap a bigger battery once I can find a custom cover for it.

that's another reason I'm sorta balking on the older model. I heard the battery life is atrocious. Also, video output would be nice... but I don't have an HDTV >.>

I have a couple more questions. With homebrew, is there a custom music player that will be able to handle FLAC,OGG,NSF,SPC etc like the DS players? how's the accuracy for NES/SNES/genesis emulators? does sony check the firmware during online play like MS does? How would one go about getting homebrew set up on a slim?

Nah, get a Nintendo DS, the top-selling handheld from this era.

nice recommendation and all, but I already have 2. :)

Edited by Reaper man

If you have money to spare and you already have a DS, yeah, get a PSP. The library of games is blatantly weak, much like the PS3, with only a handful of titles worth looking into. Not much going for a console if the majority of the game library consists of rehashes of old games or some kind of compilation of old games; again, much like the PS3, the system desperately needs high-quality exclusive titles..

And those it doesn't have really, save Loco Roco perhaps.

Kind of ironic that the PSP enjoys a much larger library of games in Japan (while many of those are ports, they are still damn good ports) loyts of different games, Sony is always being a hardass about releasing games overseas unless the ports contains significant amount of new content + they always make the assumption that certain games are just "too japanese" to ever be a big hit in the US or Europe.

so... castlevania chronicles and Final Fantasy are really pressuring me to get a PSP, but I'm not too sure which to get, you know?

ok, first of all, I want homebrew and the ability to play the latest games. Okie, I have a couple of choices, slim and standard. Now the PSPs that are at gamestop are version 3.71, so they aren't "early versions."

the slims are nice, but more expensive, and I can slap a bigger battery once I can find a custom cover for it.

that's another reason I'm sorta balking on the older model. I heard the battery life is atrocious. Also, video output would be nice... but I don't have an HDTV >.>

I have a couple more questions. With homebrew, is there a custom music player that will be able to handle FLAC,OGG,NSF,SPC etc like the DS players? how's the accuracy for NES/SNES/genesis emulators? does sony check the firmware during online play like MS does? How would one go about getting homebrew set up on a slim?

If you want homebrew, you're probably better off going with a fat PSP (standard). They can be downgraded more easily and are more compatible with homebrew.

The battery life on the fat PSP is not that bad, unless you OC to 333MHz. in that case, just get a bigger 3rd party battery and turn the Sony one into a Pandora's Battery or something.

There are plenty of homebrew music players for the PSP. I'm sure you could find one that would fit all of your needs.

NES/SNES/Genesis emulation are pretty good, but SNES and Genesis are still having some problems IIRC.

The only time your firmware gets checked is when you wan to start up a UMD. Never after that.

I'm not completely sure how to get a CFW on a Slim, but I do know that you need access to a PSP that is already homebrew enabled.

The loading screen are SOOO LONG!!!! oh my god...I fell asleep once while I was playing GTA, during one of the loading screens..... but I do like the aspects of the rest of the PSP

That's why you need to get a custom firmware and OC to 333MHz. Sure, your battery doesn't last as long, but games load plenty faster and you can always bring a charger with you wherever you go.

nice recommendation and all, but I already have 2. :naughty:

Ok then get a GP2X, it's a lot better for emulation

nice recommendation and all, but I already have 2. :naughty:

Ok then get a GP2X, it's a lot better for emulation

*cough*