why 3 prongs on a lithium batery?

Kloplop321

So you can plug it in..... :naughty:

...you forget that you only need two leads for DC current.

my guess is there might be a need for 2 currents (VCC) sharing a ground, but eh, I'm not 100% certain

The question is VERY vague. Are we talking 3 contacts on the battery itself, or are we talking plugging the unit into the wall for charging?

If it's the latter, it would be due to AC>DC conversion (Most using a bridge rectifier).

The question is VERY vague. Are we talking 3 contacts on the battery itself, or are we talking plugging the unit into the wall for charging?

If it's the latter, it would be due to AC>DC conversion (Most using a bridge rectifier).

I'm betting he means the battery, as I've seen lithium batteries with 3 contacts.

Most likely a signal contact, or a loop for quick charging. These lithium batteries that charge very fast, don't waste/lost any current.

That or it's a 2 cell, 4 state Li-Ion that would make that 3rd pin definitely a comms pin. If the battery is in a "trickle" state with less than 5v (As an example), the charger would only deliver a lower draw so as to not damage a possibly faulty battery (Sony-splosion anyone?)