What is the best program for capturing mini dv videos

SF2MJ

What is the best program for capturing mini dv videos from your camcorder to your pc ...then to a dvd disc?.

Keep in mind i have a PAL camcorder ...it's a Canon - MV960.

I would like a program that let's me capture my home movies onto my pc and then convert it for burning onto a dvd without losing any quality.

You'd be using a firewire connection for that. Windows will automatically detect the DV Device and let you capture with a lot of different things.

Windows Movie Maker is maybe the easiest, since everyone has it.

Adobe Premiere Pro is the best, if only because it allows you to capture to full frames uncompressed AVI. Things like Final Cut, Windows Movie Maker and Avid all encode your footage to proprietary formats. Premiere does not.

Once you have the footage on your comp you can use almost anything to make a DVD out of it... Nero... Encore... Windows Movie Maker and Premiere both have DVD burning built in as well.

Adobe Premier Pro is awesome, i use that but if you want something a little easier to use (but produces the same quality results for this particular use) try out Ulead Video Studio or whatever its called. It has some decent editing tools too.

Windows Movie maker is alright, but its really fussy about formats, and takes unnecessarily long to complete certain tasks, its kinda buggy I think too because no matter what computer I'm using it on it usually crashes at least a few times :/ but that might be because when i edit things they are usually massive files of different formats being stuck together.

BTW when you capture from your camera, if you don't want to lose any quality make sure the capture format is UNCOMPRESSED, like MPEG or something, Its going to be a HUGE file, but when you convert it to a DVD and all that it should fit. If you pick a compressed file it has to encode it and then you'll have to re-encode it later for DVD, and every time you re-encode something you lose some quality