Parents and Gamers

As a parent, you wouldn't want to expose your child to unnecessary violence and sex elements too early though.

yes I would >.>

corrupting kids is fun.... I think I'm going to goatse my kid on his 5th birthday

Are you Christopher Paul Neil?

I said corrupt kids, not raep them ;p

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back in 85. right before NES, I would borrow my Uncles Atari, When that happened, my Mom would give me a 30 min time limit. Then NES came out. One night at dinner, I asked if they wanted to do something. A strange question, Unprecedented from there 7 year old son. They asked what. I asked if we could pick up the NES, And they agreed, with no argument. I was so surprised!!! Once I had the NES she never gave me a time limit, and like someone stated earlier, there wasn't real mature games & I got good grades and all so restrictions were never necessary.

To tell you the truth, I play more games now than I ever did growing up. I would definitely keep my children in check with the gaming. Although I don't want to shelter my children (none yet) I agree with L.S.D.

Ratings are there for a reason. As a parent, you wouldn't want to expose your child to unnecessary violence and sex elements too early

And yea, we all agree games have improved certain attributes. Hell, I can macro-manage like no-body business (RTS) and I damn sure know how to secure a location (FPS) and all the games combined have boosted my coordination. Not to mention the critical thinking skills certain games nourish.

All this B.S. about games corrupting our youth is just that.... B.S. You never seen me finish someone like SubZero..... It's all about the personal needs of each individual. Some parents are screwed up and there kids come out fine. Some parents seem ok, but they pay no attention to there kids, and they sometimes turn out doing something unthinkable. We are all unique, and so, each handle certain things differently. It's up to us to guide our children toward the right path, and show them what you are made of. They are sponges, absorbing everything around them. They are going to make there own decisions no matter what you think you can do. So the only thing you CAN do is live through example.

Sorry.... I always seem to talk to much, even in text.

Best argument in a while. Jack Thompson would be ashamed.

nice to see parents with such liberal view especially on gaming.

I even persuade my sister to let her kids have some time on simple games like Luxor or Sonic on the PC.

She did but with restricted time. I didn't see their grades degrading up to now. Heck, one of my nephew even

manage to score in every tests he went through (he is in pre-school though)

the way i see it, you cant just give a child a mature game and expect them to understand and comprehend whats going on on their own. you have to give them guidance. i guess thats where parents that actually give a crap about their kids would come in. i believe that a 10 year old could play doom and understand that the monsters arent real with proper guidance from mature parents. but now a days thats too much to ask (not saying anything about the parents on this board. i just know alot of stupid people.)