Parents and Gamers

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My father was never much of a gamer, but for some reason he loved Racing/Airplane/FPS games. He never really restricted me from playing certain games, when I was growing up, Mature games really weren't mainstream, I was playing SNES, SGEN, and where there weren't really and M rated games. My mother was never aware of the games that I played, didn't really care actually, so I got to play games like GTA as a young teenager without parental moderation.

Since I was a little kid, my dad always wanted to buy video games for me and my big brother. My mother still hate to see all the discs and cartridges on my room :D

My parents bought my brothers and me games. Just kept the violence from the games they bought for us in moderation. They don't mind us playing video games as long as it's not too much, and we study hard and get good grades.

My parents restricted my time spent playing games as well as the games I bought for most of my life. My mom would not let me buy FPS games until I was 15, and just last year my parents stopped restricting my gaming time.

My parents bought my brothers and me games. Just kept the violence from the games they bought for us in moderation. They don't mind us playing video games as long as it's not too much, and we study hard and get good grades.

i wish i had parents like yours. i met people whos parents encouraged them to play videogames and they turned out to be smart.... geez....i know when i have kids i'll moderate but not restrict.

My parents never restricted my gaming, infact my mother bought my NES and paid for half my SNES. After that I bought my own stuff.

Of course my habit became just that, and when I bought my Gamecube I came home with it and my mother was like "Oh not another system, what did you buy that for?", until I fired up Metroid Prime and she was in awe at how good it looked and played.

It was the same as when I bought my Dreamcast, until I popped Samba De Amigo in and I couldn't get the controller out of her hands!

I encourage my daughter to play video games with me, even if she can't really do it too well at 2-1/2. It promotes hand-eye coordination, problem solving skills and brain stimulation. Too much however can interfere with the rest of your life........my 48+ hour Rainbow Six - Rogue Spear stints online were proof of that, with me often getting no sleep over the course of a weekend. Still made it to work though.

My parents never restricted my gaming, infact my mother bought my NES and paid for half my SNES. After that I bought my own stuff.

Of course my habit became just that, and when I bought my Gamecube I came home with it and my mother was like "Oh not another system, what did you buy that for?", until I fired up Metroid Prime and she was in awe at how good it looked and played.

It was the same as when I bought my Dreamcast, until I popped Samba De Amigo in and I couldn't get the controller out of her hands!

I encourage my daughter to play video games with me, even if she can't really do it too well at 2-1/2. It promotes hand-eye coordination, problem solving skills and brain stimulation. Too much however can interfere with the rest of your life........my 48+ hour Rainbow Six - Rogue Spear stints online were proof of that, with me often getting no sleep over the course of a weekend. Still made it to work though.

yeah, my mother bought all my starter ones until I got a real job, too. Samba De Amigo got her attention, as well.

You're right about it improving you coordination and problem solving,too. It's definitely made me a little sharper. And My friends have wondered where I am after a month or two long game addiction as well. :D