Now Xbox Backups aren't working :O

Shibathedog

So I tried to backup some of my games (no seriously, just because im too lazy to carry discs around) and first I tried to copy Mortal Kombat Deception. I used DVD to Xbox on the Xbox. The game launches, But as soon as it goes to create a save file, it crashes. So I figured maybe the disc was scratched, So I downloaded a copy of Guilty Gear X2, and the same thing happens! At least I think, Ive never played it on xbox, but when you get to the screen that says press start, it crashes.

Am I supposed to patch it or something? This is really annoying considering how convenient it would be to just bring my xbox over for drunken shenanigans as opposed to my xbox and all this other stuff.

flock, the Xbox Dash wouldn't boot and i replaced it with apparently the wrong msdash.xbe, how the hell do i fix this? Error code 21

EDIT: Crap that scared me, luckily splinter cell booted so i was able to get into the linux installer and start the FTP server and change it back

Anyway so now my problem is my xbox dash wont boot (it used to :/) and backups seem to freeze when they access the HDD, I made sure to make backups of everything so thats not a problem at least

I've been looking all over the place, and the only thing i can find even remotely close to an answer is to boot the NDURE thing again, restore the MS dash, and reinstall the softmod

Is that the right way to do it? Im really afraid to try anything without someone telling me its okay first because i already almost screwed it up

First, DVD2Xbox is for dumping games to the hard drive and running them from there. If you want to make a successful backup to DVD, you'll need to use a layout file and the appropriate program (I forget what it's called, you'll find it on XS) for best results, as if the disc isn't laid out similar to the original, you're likely to get DRE's.

As for fixing your dash issue, if you can FTP in, just copy your files back over. Get ahold of a retail C from something like a Slayer's disc, and patch the files running the NDURE setup again. Then just copy your patched files over by FTP to the C drive and E\dash. Once booted, none of those files are "in use" like system files on a Windows box.

I've been looking all over the place, and the only thing i can find even remotely close to an answer is to boot the NDURE thing again, restore the MS dash, and reinstall the softmod

Is that the right way to do it? Im really afraid to try anything without someone telling me its okay first because i already almost screwed it up

Yes it's fine. I've re-installed Ndure many times without probs. I don't use dual boot any more because I never used the MS dash once I softmodded anyway. You could also use one of the installer discs eg Slayers/Auto-Installer, to set up a fresh dual boot once you have gone through the Ndure thing again. My Ndure installer just has the basic single-boot UnleashX, no MS dash, I guess it depends what yours is set up to do.

If you don't want to use DVD2XBOX then just use the file manager to copy the files from DVD to a folder on E/F or whatever and that should work just fine. Btw, there are a small number of games that won't work from the hdd.

Okay using DVD2XBOX for playing the games off the HDD is fine, thats what I wanted to do. I don't need copies of games I already own. (weird to see someone not stealing games heh)

What do you mean copy the files and then patch them? When i softmodded it i put splinter cell in and loaded NDURE, I didn't have to do anything on my PC. Or are you saying to take the retail C from Slayers disc, Overwrite mine, and then re-run NDURE to re-softmod it?

bah and i thought i was starting to understand this xbox modding stuff

You can do that, the gamesave installer way. I'm used to hotswap/new drive with XboxHDM though.

If you have FTP access, you can do it either way. Creating the install on your PC with the retail C files and then copying, or going the gamesave route.

alright I think what im gonna do is restore to stock with slayers and then re-install with NDURE, just because I already went through the pain in the ass process of formatting and locking the HDD :/ I'll post tomorrow when I do it and hopefully it goes okay