Capcom announces Street Fighter IV

Smilee

The chumps who don't know or care about the SF story will look at SF4 and say "wtf is Guile??". These are the chumps who are gonna remember playing SFII back in the day and want to buy SFIV now that theyre all grown up and have jobs.

If history has told us one thing, it is that Capcom does not give a damn about the fans' perspective when it comes to making games. They will just do whatever the hell they want- I dont think its a matter of having a dream match or a proper franchise extension as much as a matter of the game needing certain things to be able to be marketable today, and Capcom not caring about storylines to begin with.

What I mean is I dont think it would stop them from making what will most likely sell. I seriously doubt that we will see anything but a lot of returning characters in SFIV.

So just because your main focus of playing a fighting game is game play/fight engine, and storyline that you usually don't agree with or sucks (as most fighting game story lines do) and has no direct affect on the game play being a secondary focus makes you a chump?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh ok

Well, I would say that fighting styles in 2D fighting games like Guilty Gear are pretty diverse, I would like to see the same in Street Fighter aswell.

When you look at Street Fighter, there are too many clones

Ryu and Ken are acceptable, Gouki's fighting style is the same as Ryu's and Ken's, but some button combinations are different, and he has some different moves. Pointless characters like Sean and Dan, who are Ryu and Ken clones should either be revamped or deleted from future SF games, if the game developers refuse to make them different from their predecessors. That's why SF 2 was such a great fighting game, because all of the characters had their own fighting style. In the future releases like SF III and SF Alpha, clones were created and the character differentiation decreased.

But it's taken GGX2 4 games to get diverse in the first place though (Wasn't until #Reload Red that Robo-Ky & Ky were considered different characters, then balance changes afterwards, heck they added HolyOrder-Sol in Accent Core too). Sean came into his own when they first made him (it was originally suppose to be the only shoto character in SF3 afterall, but hey, we complained - WHERES KEN & RYU?). His playstyle is completely different from the other shotos and only share a few normals with the rest of the other shotos. As for Dan, anyone can tell you he's not a shoto by a long shot. He's just, fucked up. But hey, I've played people who are very(I stress this) good with Dan (and Sean too).

Your going to have to provide more on which characters were just simple pallet swaps of each other to those have changed completely (Yun & Yang in NG-2i to 3s, Juni/Juli/Cammy all had different normals, priorities and only shared Cannon Spike, Deejay & Guile both charge characters, with charge projectiles and charge kicks, both completely different in all aspects, but share the same button notations).

The chumps who don't know or care about the SF story will look at SF4 and say "wtf is Guile??". These are the chumps who are gonna remember playing SFII back in the day and want to buy SFIV now that theyre all grown up and have jobs.

If history has told us one thing, it is that Capcom does not give a damn about the fans' perspective when it comes to making games. They will just do whatever the hell they want- I dont think its a matter of having a dream match or a proper franchise extension as much as a matter of the game needing certain things to be able to be marketable today, and Capcom not caring about storylines to begin with.

What I mean is I dont think it would stop them from making what will most likely sell. I seriously doubt that we will see anything but a lot of returning characters in SFIV.

The last time they listened to us, they canceled CFAS, made CFJ, got backlashed on that then just re-released a bunch of SF compilation titles! But apparently CoA wants this to be good so... they are taking things into consideration, much like how SF2T HD Remix is a new version of SFIIT - rebalanced by tournement players giving suggestions.

So just because your main focus of playing a fighting game is game play/fight engine, and storyline that you usually don't agree with or sucks (as most fighting game story lines do) and has no direct affect on the game play being a secondary focus makes you a chump?

No- not knowing sh.t all about the series except that you used to play it at the corner store when you were 12 makes you a chump, not just not knowing or not caring about the storyline.

I wasn't arguing for stories in fighting games- I was arguing that Capcom couldn't care less about them, as evidenced by how flaky they are. Characters being old, dead or otherwise, lore speaking, is the last thing they will think of when deciding who returns to the SFIV roster.

Well this was posted sometime last night on the CAPCOM bbs

I'll start with the basic answer that will diffuse the majority of questions here:

We've announced Street Fighter 4 to let everyone know it's in development. We aren't really providing any more information than that at this time, but over the coming months, you'll see bits and pieces come to light. Platforms especially aren't being discussed.

While CUSA owns the rights to Street Fighter, we have contracted Capcom Japan to handle its development (we felt they would, by far, do the best job with the title).

The game is further along in development than probably most of you think, but as we've stated, it's still quite a ways off. Again, the announcement was just to get it on everyone's radar, nothing more.

Beyond that no one at Capcom will speak about characters returning, character count, platforms, features, 2D or 3D or 2.5D, whether the trailer is representative of gameplay/character design/visual targets, arcade or not, online features, downloadable strategy, where it fits in the canon, etc.

All of that will be revealed over time... the next bits will be revealed a bit later this year.

Well this was posted sometime last night on the CAPCOM bbs

I'll start with the basic answer that will diffuse the majority of questions here:

We've announced Street Fighter 4 to let everyone know it's in development. We aren't really providing any more information than that at this time, but over the coming months, you'll see bits and pieces come to light. Platforms especially aren't being discussed.

While CUSA owns the rights to Street Fighter, we have contracted Capcom Japan to handle its development (we felt they would, by far, do the best job with the title).

The game is further along in development than probably most of you think, but as we've stated, it's still quite a ways off. Again, the announcement was just to get it on everyone's radar, nothing more.

Beyond that no one at Capcom will speak about characters returning, character count, platforms, features, 2D or 3D or 2.5D, whether the trailer is representative of gameplay/character design/visual targets, arcade or not, online features, downloadable strategy, where it fits in the canon, etc.

All of that will be revealed over time... the next bits will be revealed a bit later this year.

Great.

ETA for the game is Late 2008 or Early 2009. Capcom of Japan is going with a whole new team since Capcom USA commissioned CoJ themselves to do it with some possibly old members returning that are still with CoJ.

USA Team doesn't exist anymore, but they did put out FF Revenge, which was horrible apparently (it doesn't run on mame, so I can't judge for myself, and I don't own it for SAT).