Prototype Sega Dreamcast Zip Drive on eBay

JKKDARK

What would be even cooler is if it were actually useful. Based on the Q&A section it's no more then an extremely rare collectors item since it is the only one ever made and no games support it.

yeah and the weird thing is am POSITIVE ive seen one of these before, its definitely NOT the only one in existence

if you don't believe me, look at it from a logical point of view, Why would they spend the money and time to only make ONE prototype? They ALWAYS make more than one prototype of whatever anyone is ever making ever.

In theory (My Theory, which is always right) I believe that this was going to be made to compete with the N64DD, Another product which never came out, Although with the N64 Disk Drive it used some proprietary disk thing and N64 memory cards could plug into the disks, which im not sure what the purpose was for that, but i've even seen weird CD-ROM add ons for N64 that never where used for anything. Which sucks and still bothers me to this day that i can't plug anything into that port on the bottom of my N64 (Most people dont even know its there, turn your N64 over and look)

There was also going to be a DVD drive for Dreamcast

You may have a point Shibathedog. I downloaded a copy of an old Dremacast magazine that had news about this in it. I'd forgotten about it until now.

...a DVD drive? Didn't they realize how silly these things looked. I mean look at what they did the innocent Sega Genesis/Mega Drive.

Only problem with your theory is 64DD predates the DC Zip drive by a few years. 64DD was released only in Japan. A DVD-enable Dreamcast wasn't on the plan, but a Dreamcast DVD player (I still have an old issue of EGM which showed off a bunch of Dreamcast branded pharphirals).

I get the part about it being a DVD Player. I just started imagening all those little connections everywhere.

*looks down at PSX, PS2, DCx2, GameCube*

Hm...maybe I could see how that might work out since I have all those on my floor in front of my TV right now.