total eclipse of the moon tonight

Robert

As I write this, the moon has risen about 30 degrees, and the earth's shadow is just starting to have an affect. Thankfully it is a clear, cloudless, warm night, perfect conditions.

The eclipse will be visible across most of the United States as well, so enjoy and take pictures.

If you miss out, you'll have to wait another 4 years at least.

A few years ago we had a lunar eclipse, and it happened at midnight, with the moon directly overhead, and it was in the middle of winter and it was freezing.

And not so long ago we almost had a solar eclipse, unfortunately, the moon had almost obscured the sun right on sunset, so it was hardly noticeable. A bit further west and it would have been perfect.

You will see it setting while dawn is beginning, and the moon will become impossible to see against the blue sky. By the time the sun becomes visible, the moon will have set.

Now, the middle of the eclipse has passed, and I need to go outside to see it as it has risen too high to see from my window.

I was already passed out from drinking actually, but even if I was sober, I probably wouldn't have been able to stay up long enough to see it anyway ;/