GP2X F-200 Announced

gp2x2.jpg

Gamepark Holdings is planning on releasing an update to their homebrew handheld in the form of a GP2X F-200 this October. The features are as follows;

* Color: White

* All new touch screen interface

* New and improced 8-way digital pad

* Comes with various in-built games: Blocked, GhostPix, Cavestory, Phishy, Ruck-Man, SQdef

* 5 new game titels available at launch

* Multi-tasking functionality: enjoy music while reading E-books or browsing photos

* 3.5 inch LCD screen with 320*240 (30 frames) resolution

* Simple and convenient E-book viewer

* Size: 134.6x82.9x29.6 mm

* Weight: 161 g (without battery)

This new system is white, has a touchscreen and stylus ala the DS, an apparently far improved d-pad and comes with Cave Story built in! Will it be any more desirable a handheld than its dismal current iteration? Time will tell.

Source: Play-Asia.

I never have had an opportunity to try the original GP2X, so I can't say how good is the thumstick, but I really have a hard time swallowing that mobile-phone-style directional pad is in any way and improvement over a thumbstick.

Also, everybody says the hardware, even though seemingly powerful, performs poorly, being surpassed by lower powered machines like the DS or even lower in analogous applications, like snes emulation and others...

Hope that doesn't change so I don't feel compelled to buy it, because I have no money! xDD

Nah, I hope they make it right this time, although I really don't have money.