PS2 Modchip Coming in Memory Card Form

JKKDARK

The other thing is that the current exploit doesn't let you boot backups. It lets you run cogswap or whatever you like, but you still then have to swap in and out a real disc and the backup disc.

Apparently VAST will let you boot a burnt game right off the bat.

Well yes so it would seem. But it appears to be a trade-off between disc swapping and having to patch each game to be compatible with Vast. If this patching of games is required then people will not only have to pay for Vast, but also invest a fair bit of money in blank DVDs, not to mention the time needed to patch/burn each game.

In other words, it doesn't exactly seem worth the hassle if you already make use of the independence exploit. The money used would be much better spent on an external HDD to eliminate discs altogether ( yes i know HDLoader isn't 100% compatible ). Not to mention it's coming out way too late in the PS2s life cycle.

well, even so, the whole memory card having a USB interface built in is reason enough I would get one. I mean trading saves and such == sexy :)

Edited by Reaper man

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nono I meant getting the gameshark, a thimb drive (yeah I still need to get around to getting one of those) and whatever else I need to pull it off... I just don't want to deal with all the bullshit of running the exploit when I can have it all in one tight little package AND be able to homebrew with little to no trouble at all

Edited by Reaper man

Not to mention it's coming out way too late in the PS2s life cycle.
Right, nothing more needs to be said.

oh yes, while people go out and completely remake the NES while other people make uber carts that can hold a shitload of roms

just because it's outdated doesn't mean it's automatically useless. Oh yeah and hello? PS3 software emulation now? There is absolutely NO REASON to get rid of the PS2 yet/

Not to mention it's coming out way too late in the PS2s life cycle.
Right, nothing more needs to be said.

oh yes, while people go out and completely remake the NES while other people make uber carts that can hold a shitload of roms

just because it's outdated doesn't mean it's automatically useless. Oh yeah and hello? PS3 software emulation now? There is absolutely NO REASON to get rid of the PS2 yet/

Sure it's useful, especially considering the Independence exploit doesn't work on v12 and higher. But it's just that it's been done to death already, it's just been refined and repackaged. It's like someone releasing an Xbox memory card with softmod files on board. Sure it's more convenient, but it's something that's been circulating for years already.

Edited by gavin19

There is a market for NES remakes and 100 in 1 ROM cartridges - that's called nostalgia and retrogaming.

There isn't a market for homebrew/hacking tools on outdated hardware. Do you see many new SNES ROM copiers being developed and sold?

These guys would have made a killing 3+ years ago but not today. I wonder if they'll even be able to recover their costs for R&D, let alone manufacturing.

I didn't say anything about getting rid of the PS2. I've just bought a PS2 V6 a month ago.

well, even so, the whole memory card having a USB interface built in is reason enough I would get one. I mean trading saves and such == sexy :)

But both models of PS2 have USB ports, and the current exploits let you use them to transfer saves...

I always wondered what they were for.

So this means if I had a USB cable that connected to my computer and the PS2 with a double ended receiver, I would be able to transfer saves with it? Now would I need software to do it? And also, iPods can be charged with PSTwos.

I always wondered what they were for.

So this means if I had a USB cable that connected to my computer and the PS2 with a double ended receiver, I would be able to transfer saves with it? Now would I need software to do it? And also, iPods can be charged with PSTwos.

You'd have to put the saves on a USB key, and plug that in. Then, with some PS2 end software like uLaunchELF, you can copy the saves to / from your Memory Card.

Alternatively you can use a Network Adapter, an ethernet cable, and a PC to do the same thing using that program.