PSP Custom Firmware 3.52 M33-3 Update Released

M33 has made an interesting update to their PSP Custom Firmware, 3.52 M33-3.

Changes:

* Added more speeds: 75 and 133.

* Added flash2 and flash3 usb to recovery

* Added a setting in recovery to change the usb device to which XMB will connect.

* Added "vshmenu", which is a menu that will appear when HOME is pressed in the XMB. It will interfere with existing

* XMB plugins that use HOME, so it can be disabled in recovery.

* - Added umd video iso support. The umd video isos are playes using vshmenu. Video isos go in

* /ISO/VIDEO folder. They require an UMD inserted because NO-UMD does not work.

Changes in popsloader:

* Support for 3.30 firmware. Instructions are same as in previous release, except 3.30

* firmware did not have libpspvmc.prx, so just ignore that file.

* Warning: There is an incompatibility between 3.30 savedata and later ones. If a savedata exists from 3.40+, the emulator will freeze.

A few notes from the M33 team about vshmenu and UMD video ISOs:

* vshmenu cannot be loaded when the browser is active. If you exit the browser, the firmware will still keep it in memory until you enter other area of xmb, until you do so, you will not be able to access vshmenu again either.

* video isos and the game isos show in xmb use the same core. Due to this, when you enter in game menu and there is some iso, if a video iso was currently mounted, it will automatically be unmounted.

* cso format is not supported for video isos.

* UMD audio isos are theoretically supported, but not tested. They go to /ISO/VIDEO.

That interesting part has to do with loading UMD Video ISOs. For now you still need a UMD (any UMD- not just a video one) in for it to work, but ISO loading from the XMB sounds good to me. As always exercise caution as flashing of Custom Firmwares always involves a minor risk of bricking your PSP.

[Download]

Source: PSPUpdates.

People should note that altered versions of the M33 installer have appeared on certain sites. Apparently any minor alteration of the eboot will cause the installation to result in a brick, and has done for a lot of users.

I strongly recommend if you are going to update to this firmware you should use the PSPUpdates @ QJ.net link provided. Any less reliable source could put your PSP unit in jeopardy.

Reports suggest that after a successful installation the CFW has no bugs, but, given these instances of bricking, I'm in no rush to update and confirm any of it.

How do we update? I'm already at update#2.

Update 4 is out, so you should get that instead of 3, then just place the EBOOT.PBP in its own folder in ms0:\PSP\GAME and launch it from the XMB.