Graphic card not working, need help

Ryuken

i just got a XFX 6800 GT from my uncle but it's doesn't seem to work. when i boot up , all the words that shows up during POST are messed up. so all i get is distorted graphics. i've read somewhere that it need a +12 20a rail or something like that. so what should i do?

you need extra power to the card

after looking at the card in question, you need to add a 12v molex connector to it. What is that you ask? you see those white connectors that are connected to CD-roms and ATA Hard drives? they look like these:

molex.jpg

lol, molex connector

now you will need one of those available. If you don't, you'll have to upgrade your power supply...

Speaking of, you will NEED AT LEAST A 350W power supply in order for it to work, and even then, if you have a lot of drives, you should go for 400-450W, just to be sure. You can find out how much your power supply is rated by looking inside the case and on the power supply itself. It might be on the bottom, so you might have to take it out. if it's < 350, you'll have to shop for a new power supply to feed the power hungry video card. I recommend Antec, because they make good crap power supply wise

anyway, good luck with the upgrade :blink:

umm... r there power supplies without molex connector ? anyway, i did plug it in the card, if it's not plugged in, it won't even start. i have a 400w. i tried unplugging the HDD and dvd burner so that only the video card is using the 12v cable but still not working. i think the card is dead. o and i've already try pushing the card all the way in and all those other noob mistakes