Mortal Kombat

I feel that the Mortal Kombat franchise plummeted when the first 3-Dimensional version of the game was released. Mortal Kombat 4. Mortal Kombat 4 completely abandoned the old combo system, each character had the same combos, unlike Mortal Kombat 3 where everyone's combos were different. They took away the uppercut delay, and made it look different from the original. It lost the entire Mortal Kombat feel for some reason, I didn't like anything after Mortal Kombat 4. All games after Mortal Kombat 4 were slow, broken, and completely revamped. When I play Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance or Armageddon, it feels like I'm playing a different game and not Mortal Kombat. Personally, I think Mortal Kombat 2 was the best Mortal Kombat game ever made. I still play it today on my Sega Genesis. I can't get enough of it. Please express your view on the Mortal Kombat game series.

UMK3 imo is the best MK game. MK2 has it's moments, but it's full of it's own thing too. Saturn Edition FTW.

4 is a modest effort into 3d. Deadly Alliance good, but not great, Deception on the other hand, is personally my favorite 3D MK game.

I bet Knight would agree with me, Armageddon is by far the worst.

To be honest I always thought MK was one of the most stiffest, horribly made fighting games ever. I am not bashing it man but lets be serious, the engine is crap compared to most other fighting games. Every characters play style was very similar in many ways. Uppercut, spin kick(back + High kick), sweep, etc... Every character had a projectile too. Animation was crap too, like Liu Kangs frozen frozen flying kick. The fight engine it has is horrible and pales in comparison to most other fighting games. The only reason it became popular was because of the violence. The first 3D version of the game was garbage, and the rest of the installments were craptacular as well.

As you can tell, I am not a fan of MK at all.

Virtua Fighter

Tekken

Street Fighter

Garou Mark of the Wolves

KOF series

Soul caliber

Now those are good fighting games.

Do you feel that Trilogy was a good enough upgrade from UMK3?, or do you think they could have added more since the game was a on a higher generation of consoles?

Man, don't even mention that trash. Trilogy was just a broken house on fire.

Older versions of characters even had their old infinities (MK1 Kano c.LK infinity!)

To be honest I always thought MK was one of the most stiffest, horribly made fighting games ever. I am not bashing it man but lets be serious, the engine is crap compared to most other fighting games. Every characters play style was very similar in many ways. Uppercut, spin kick(back + High kick), sweep, etc... Every character had a projectile too. Animation was crap too, like Liu Kangs frozen frozen flying kick. The fight engine it has is horrible and pales in comparison to most other fighting games. The only reason it became popular was because of the violence. The first 3D version of the game was garbage, and the rest of the installments were craptacular as well.

As you can tell, I am not a fan of MK at all.

Virtua Fighter

Tekken

Street Fighter

Garou Mark of the Wolves

KOF series

Soul caliber

Now those are good fighting games.

I respect your statement, I agree with you on some parts, but they don't bother me much.

The fighting games listed are indeed good fighting games. I'm a huge Tekken fan.

Cool man, not trying to start a flame war or anything. Maybe if Sega or Namco re-did an MK game with game play mechanics and a awesome all new SC/Virtua Fighter fight engine might make it decent and not a joke among most hardcore fighting game fans.

I'm pretty much in agreement with both you guys Devia and Wizard. MK2 is a classic and my all time favourite. Deception is also my favourite 3d one, but that isnt saying much.

Armageddon is just plain trash- I hate it. Whereas Trilogy had some good fun in it, although it was put together so badly, Armageddon plays like a cripple. And hell the animations in that game are shocking. Moves are all generic looking... combos look like a bad claymation flick and... Motaro has 2 legs? Laziest game development Ive ever seen.

Cool man, not trying to start a flame war or anything. Maybe if Sega or Namco re-did an MK game with game play mechanics and a awesome all new SC/Virtua Fighter fight engine might make it decent and not a joke among most hardcore fighting game fans.

Ok, that'd be a completely different feel. SC's 8 way run is what make the game unique and VF, well VF is slow.

KILLER INSTINCT FTMFW!

I love it once you learn how to play. Combos were pretty stright forward.

back+LP, forward+MP, forward MP, MK, forward MP, and then the combo would pretty much take over.

I don't know about y'all but I hated the block button. Till this day I wonder why midway didn't just use the pressing back on the joystick/gamepad method like Capcom and Neo Geo. I just don't get it. The run buttion was ok.

Edited by 2eyez