Modding a Slim PS2 vs. Fat PS2 ... what's more efficient?

Alpha

Slim PS2 vs. Fat PS2  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've been thinking about this for a while and can't figure out what's the better option.

I can either purchase a brand new Slim Playstation 2 for $130 or grab a Used Fat Playstation 2 for $90. Now you must understand that I am not interested in actually installing a mod-chip. All I want to do is use a Swap Magic. I don't even know what is the best version of the Swap Magic for a Slim PS2 or Fat PS2. It all makes it so ever confusing.

Also, I've heard mixed reports when it comes to which version has the better laser to read the games. Maybe someone can clarify that? Lastly, I also read that the Slim PS2 has some game compatiblity issues shown here. Is the problem more than those or is that it?

I've also read reports that the Fat PS2 is great for connecting hard drives to make load times less for PS2 games. I'm not really interested in purchasing a hard drive just for a PS2 at the moment. However, how hard is it to add one for a Slim PS2? I understand it has to be an external hard drive as well.

Does the Slim PS2 have any heating issues since it's so small? Which version has the longer lifespan, fat or slim PS2?

Please help me out here so I can make the best decision possible. :)

Swap Magic Method: Slim PSTwo

This method isn't particular very safe with the PS2s because it wears down the drive quicker (Slide card) unless you make it a flip-top.

Games not working - Who cares, not like your gonna touch those.

Also SOME games use the HDD for data cacheing like Resident Evil Outbreak.

The HDD solution for PSTwos is though the USB ports, which from what I have heard, very slow compared to the PS2's HDD solution. PS2 requires the network adapter to use a harddrive that must be formatted to PS2 format for use.

Early PSTwo models had some issues with overheating but that has been pretty much corrected under the latest revisions.

Life span is debatable for the PS2s. With driver and laser problems that suffer in ALL iterations of the PS2, a PSTwo is much better in this department.

It all comes down too what are you going to do with it?

Swap Magic Method: Slim PSTwo

This method isn't particular very safe with the PS2s because it wears down the drive quicker (Slide card) unless you make it a flip-top.

What's the difference between the slide card and flip top? And if the flip top is better, what solution/package for the swap magic is the best for it?

Games not working - Who cares, not like your gonna touch those.

Good point.

Also SOME games use the HDD for data cacheing like Resident Evil Outbreak.

The HDD solution for PSTwos is though the USB ports, which from what I have heard, very slow compared to the PS2's HDD solution. PS2 requires the network adapter to use a harddrive that must be formatted to PS2 format for use.

Why does the Fat PS2 require the network adapter to add a hard drive? Does the hard drive go in the expansion bay as well? How hard is it to format the HD? And does this require a modded Fat PS2 or will all this HD loading stuff work with the Swap Magic? If not the Swap Magic, what's the best solderless mod-chip solution for the Fat PS2?

It all comes down too what are you going to do with it?

Most likely just to play backup games I have had gathering dust for a few years. It passed on to me from an old friend. Besides that though, I can't see myself emulating or adding homebrew to it.

EDIT: Also, could you link me to the list of games that require the HDD to play?

If you're going to do that. Fat PS2, no argument.

Slidecard method is an old method where you use a card to slide the PS2 tray out while using the Swap Discs. Fliptop method is where you replace the top shell of the PS2 into one more accessable to grab the disc.

Yes HDD requires the network adapter, it has the IDE connectors on it. Formatting it would require the offical Sony Formatting disc or an alternatve method (Such as HDAdvance/HDLoader which can be purchused). There is no known way to format it on Windows.

Also "solderless" isn't exactly solderless. In a previous thread Cinder commented on this in particular on how these soloutions require soldering to 1 or 2 parts of the main board regardless.

If you're going to do that. Fat PS2, no argument.

Slidecard method is an old method where you use a card to slide the PS2 tray out while using the Swap Discs. Fliptop method is where you replace the top shell of the PS2 into one more accessable to grab the disc.

Yes HDD requires the network adapter, it has the IDE connectors on it. Formatting it would require the offical Sony Formatting disc or an alternatve method (Such as HDAdvance/HDLoader which can be purchused). There is no known way to format it on Windows.

Also "solderless" isn't exactly solderless. In a previous thread Cinder commented on this in particular on how these soloutions require soldering to 1 or 2 parts of the main board regardless.

If the Fat PS2 is better to play backup games, then what is the Slim PS2 better for?

Umm you can use WinHiip, a simple app, to format it Windows.

GC- get a Fat PS2. The benefits of having a HDD arent just load times- it saves the laser from dying. You dont need it to be modded, and you dont need to tamper with the hardware.

The USB HDD solution for Slim PS2s is trash compatibility wise (<10% of games, as compared to the fat's >95%), and generally the slim is trash for everything else too. It also has compatibility issues with earlier official PS2 titles.

I recently got a Slim PSTwo Model Compatibility wise its limited. Theres also the issue that it lacks an HDD. But i believe there are types of mods to get around that. Preferably the FAT PS2 is a better deal. Despite that it may have longer load times. Besides for 90 dollars you'll be getting a system that has a "Tray" 2 LED's hence the Green and Blue LED's which the Slim PStwo lacks, little stuff like that can be disappointing for some people. Besides the fat ps2 is much more sexier :)

Edited by Gabriel

Umm you can use WinHiip, a simple app, to format it Windows.

Wait... So if I formatted a 160GB IDE hard drive with WinHiip and put my ripped PS2 ISOs on it... I could play my games from my hard drive without buying anything? :) (I already have a network adapter) Or would I still need to buy a loader of some sort?

EDIT: Ah, I see I'd still need a loader. Would HDAdvance do the job?