nvidia chipset

ben2dx

I have a question.

I've been looking at tigerdirect.com for a new motherboard and some of them say nvidia cipset, and others say intel chipset. Whats the chipset thing, is it the type of intergrated graphics?

and i plan on getting windows vista in about a year, do i need a special mobo to get vista, because some say vista ready others don't.

Thanks! ;)

Hmm I'm not sure how to put this......

Think of a chipset like a train station with multiple tracks leading to different destinations. The CPU, generally speaking, being the train yard where all the trains are kept.

The chipset controls where all the trains go, how fast they go, and which order they go in.

That do?

P.S. Saying the chipset has nothing to do with your graphics is a severe understatement Gryph. You can't pair a chipset designed for a specific company with another, and expect similar performance. That's like pairing my Radeon Express 580X chipset with an NvIdia card, sure it'll work but it's features are designed around ATi cards and it controls the bus the cards run on. (Not to mention, Crossfire....)

If you want Dual graphics cards, Get the 680i Chipset by Nvidia, If you only want one (or maybe want two, but not two really fast ones like 8800GTXs) get the 650i Chipset by Nvidia.

They overclock excellently but im going to advise you against it since you really have to know what your doing or you'll break something.

Intel Chipsets are okay too but make sure you get either the 975 or the 965 chipset. These also overclock pretty well depending on the board, but dont usually have the best support for dual graphics cards

Dont spend extra money on stuff you dont need/will never use though. Your not losing out by getting one of those intel chipsets.

Isnt thier auto overclocking. I read about it a little. Some say its bad and some say its good. I wont try it until probably the speed isnt good enough for games or if i need a new pc thats faster in which i will give it a try first.

Do you recommend auto overclocking??

P.S. Saying the chipset has nothing to do with your graphics is a severe understatement Gryph. You can't pair a chipset designed for a specific company with another, and expect similar performance. That's like pairing my Radeon Express 580X chipset with an NvIdia card, sure it'll work but it's features are designed around ATi cards and it controls the bus the cards run on. (Not to mention, Crossfire....)

Yeah, you're right. I should have worded it better.

Isnt thier auto overclocking. I read about it a little. Some say its bad and some say its good. I wont try it until probably the speed isnt good enough for games or if i need a new pc thats faster in which i will give it a try first.

Only overclock if you know exactly what you are doing because you don't want to fry your parts. I don't recomend it because i wouldn't want to risk frying my computer parts.

so your saying if im going to get an nvidia graphics card get an nvidia chipset?

Only overclock if you know exactly what you are doing because you don't want to fry your parts. I don't recomend it because i wouldn't want to risk frying my computer parts.

so your saying if im going to get an nvidia graphics card get an nvidia chipset?

In short, yes.

yeah

If you talking about EPP Profiles and SLI Certified parts for the auto overclocking, Yeah you can use it, its okay and its safe, but alot of people dont like it because you can overclock ALOT more IF you know what your doing and you do it manually.

There isnt really any harm in using it though. In fact you should because it will set all your BIOS settings correctly for it (assuming all your parts are certified and support it)

Overclocking isnt really the dangerous part, its overvolting, but still, if you dont know exactly what something does just leave it on auto/dont touch it