Which graphics card is better?

Ahmad89

After alot of thinking and digging through my wallet, i finally made up my mind.

1. Switch my graphics card with my friend which is in the 7 series.

2. Wait until Winter break, that way all the games on the PC are out (Assassins creed, bioshock, crysis, Oniblade...)

3. Check and see the graphics card required to play them and the cpu speed and all that yummy stuff.

4. Buy what ever needed with my wallet for of cash (by then it will be)

All those games, or at least most games will come during school and this is one of the most important semesters. The only reason so far i wanted a new graphics card is to be able to play Lost planet. I was less then a hair away from buying the 8600 when my friend decided to switch graphics card since he does not play any games on his PC.

I quick question, by my understanding you have to install new graphics cards. Well what happens if you do and then decide to RESET (not RESTART) your computer. Since it returns it to factory settings does that mean i have to put my old graphics card in or will it install it automatically. It would not make sence to switch it since you Can buy a whole new PC and setup from scratch.

You need to uninstall the drivers for the old card before putting the new one in. Doesn't matter if it's from the same company, series etc.

After you do that, just pop the new card in and install the drivers for it.

What about if you reset your computer with the new graphics card in it. Do you have to remove it first then but the old one then install the new one.

Maybe i am not using the correct terms here.

Reset= FORMAT

Or it might be the brain freeze from the slushy i am drinking.

I dont get what you are saying wizard

I used to swear by ATi but NVidia has been impressing me more lately

Right now im using an ATi Radeon X1950PRO 512MB, My next card(s) will be 8800GTXs or the equivilent whenever i upgrade, I want one of those new 1333MHz FSB Core 2 Duos first :) (im getting that top of the line Dual Core one, the 3GHz one, i forget what the number is, for around 350 bucks you cant go wrong it rocks the crap out of everything)

Anyway, I would say its still safe to stick with DX9, DX10 is FAR from being the standard, and by the time DX10 is the standard all the DX10 cards out now are going to suck.

In short buy a high end DX9 instead of a low end DX10. Even my card outperforms the 8600GT (and really i should have gotten an X1950XT)

the 9800XT was considered decent for an amazingly long time for anything in the PC world

Personally im getting into NVidia because yeah they are winning right now and SLI is easy as pie. ATi's Crossfire is garbage, Sure its 100 times better on paper but it cant really touch SLI right now. Nvidia is becoming more popular meaning more support/compatibility.

Oh and 680i rocks, unless Intel's X38 (Is that the name?) is some kind of amazing magic trick (like Core 2) id take a 680i board over P35 anyday. DDR3 just isnt worth it yet. (and by the time it is Nvidia will have 750i/780i)

Well from what i read pretty much until now is nVidia is the way to go. I am thinking about the 8600 GT or GTS. The way it is looing so far since dx10 is a new thing and they had to make a graphics card capable of that the 8 series came out, so they are almost like the 7 series but with dx10. I am not going to hurry for the reasons above this post so i guess i will wait and see if other cards come out that are better and around my price range.

Patience is a virtue :).

By the way, why isnt DDR3 worth it. iS it worth it 4 or 5 months from now?