New Capcom 2d Fighter - Sengoku Basara X

The character wears green and those pantaloon things too. Yeh I smelt rip-off as well lol. I see SS and SC all over this thing.

I must begin to question this claim of rip-off, since the 'character in the green', aka Motonori, has been wearing that same outfit since his release on July 21st, 2004 ; While the only SC character who wields a ringblade (Tira), appeared October 25th, 2005. His original weapon wasn't a ringblage, but rather.. Something entirely silly; A baton with paper charms. (It was changed in the sequel, Sengoku BASARA 2 to the ringblade.) One of the characters in the game uses a whip-sword, (See Hanbei ) does that make him a rip-off of Ivy? Nay.

"Oh my god, [this character] uses a sword, it must be a rip-off of [that character]!"

More on topic, however. Sengoku BASARA has been one of my favorite series of games since the original release, but seeing as the first two games were DW-style beat-em-ups (Though severely better than the DW/SW series), I'm entirely curious how the characters along with thier movesets will fit into a 2D game.

Are you suggesting that a character being given a ringblade, as in Sengoku Basara, after SoulCalibur III was released (a game which is the first mainstream game to feature a character fighting with this weapon), is not a rip-off? All you've put down is that he was wearing green in 2004. Sor-ry. Doesn't change anything.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The character wears green and those pantaloon things too. Yeh I smelt rip-off as well lol. I see SS and SC all over this thing.

I must begin to question this claim of rip-off, since the 'character in the green', aka Motonori, has been wearing that same outfit since his release on July 21st, 2004 ; While the only SC character who wields a ringblade (Tira), appeared October 25th, 2005. His original weapon wasn't a ringblage, but rather.. Something entirely silly; A baton with paper charms. (It was changed in the sequel, Sengoku BASARA 2 to the ringblade.) One of the characters in the game uses a whip-sword, (See Hanbei ) does that make him a rip-off of Ivy? Nay.

"Oh my god, [this character] uses a sword, it must be a rip-off of [that character]!"

More on topic, however. Sengoku BASARA has been one of my favorite series of games since the original release, but seeing as the first two games were DW-style beat-em-ups (Though severely better than the DW/SW series), I'm entirely curious how the characters along with thier movesets will fit into a 2D game.

Are you suggesting that a character being given a ringblade, as in Sengoku Basara, after SoulCalibur III was released (a game which is the first mainstream game to feature a character fighting with this weapon), is not a rip-off? All you've put down is that he was wearing green in 2004. Sor-ry. Doesn't change anything.

Honestly, if you wished to pick out a character because of it's weapon, I could easily say Sophitia is copying Link, because they both use a sword and shield. Oh lawd, Mitsurugi uses a katana! Obviously a rip-off of Haohmaru. You can pick any character out of -anywhere-, out of -any- series, and compare it to an entirely different character and call it a rip-off.

tl;dr version: There is no such thing as an entirely original character. Look at the whole story behind 'em, and not just the weapon.

(But at the same time, Motonari's weapon looks like Tira's, but isn't the same at all. The "Ring" is made up of two curved swords that he hold together, so it really isn't a ringblade at all.)

Edited by Date

A lot more goes into character design than you seem to be giving the creators credit for.

You can find fighters dual wielding shields and small swords almost everywhere, and Haohmaru and Mitsurugi, both plain samurai stereotypes, aren't the best examples to base a derivative vs original debate on.

Find me 5 characters whose signature is a hula hoop-sized blade, one blade or two, and then I'll believe you. Until then, I maintain Tira's is a design that has been ripped off in Sengoku Basara.

A lot more goes into character design than you seem to be giving the creators credit for.

You can find fighters dual wielding shields and small swords almost everywhere, and Haohmaru and Mitsurugi, both plain samurai stereotypes, aren't the best examples to base a derivative vs original debate on.

Find me 5 characters whose signature is a hula hoop-sized blade, one blade or two, and then I'll believe you. Until then, I maintain Tira's is a design that has been ripped off in Sengoku Basara.

Actually, in fandom's respect; Motonari's "signature" that he is recognized isn't his weapon, but rather the silly fish-shaped hat he wears. I will admit, Tira and Motonari are the only two characters I've seen who wield a ringblade of any sort, but, I still do say that you have to look at everything about the character before deeming it a rip-off.

(Also, entirely off topic; While Sengoku BASARA goes into the realm of 2D fighters, Guilty Gear is going into the realm of 3D beat-em-ups with the title Guilty Gear II Overture 'LQ scan')

Stop complaining and accept it the fact that the characters are ripz.

Also, this game shall suck, I smelt it when I read the game title.

They should seriously consider calling Namco and asking them if they could re-name this game to Soul Calibur 2d.

Guilty Gear 2 Overture won't even be a fighting game in the most common sense of the word. It features a tactical map á la RTS, and when you encounter an enemy you'll get into a more traditional 3D battle. Which isn't even a traditional 1-on-1 thing.

X360 title.

Offical name of the game is Sengouku Basara Cross (hence the X) and a HQ scan surfaced along with an HQ scan of the Overture on 2ch.

There is a dude in Yuyu Hakusho that use a ring blade that chop off Hiei's hand and body. Yeah, all games ripped off from Yuyu Hakusho. Long live Yuyu Hakusho!

The Official Site is now up. It has some details on the theme song, but otherwise doesn't reveal much.

The only section that is open is the Characters section; there are 10 'Player Characters' shown and each has an unrevealed 'Engun Character' to go with them. 10 CPU-only bosses?

LOL

Engun Characters are just assistants.In the Sengoku Basara games in addition to your main character there is also an assistant character fighting right along side you.In this game you will be able to call assists similar to the character Yuda/Juda in the Hokuto no Ken fighting game,except this time the assists are built into the game and aren't just a 1 character specialty.

Anyway first location test vids have been up for the past few days:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr4TgsaQckU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dM23dHSTd44

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnpgU3ORIeU

Official Website-

http://www.capcom.co.jp/basara-x/

Pictures

http://dengekionline.com/data/news/2007/7/...bee6df198c.html

Game is slated for Q4 2007

Game will be a 4 button fighter

Game will be 8 way directional

Game will feature assists

-Assists will have a level up system so each assist most likely gains different properties or gets stronger as the levels grow higher

-Some characters have Two assistants

Game will run on 256 Arcade system(Soul Calibur 3 Arcade version,Tekken 5,Tekken 5:Dark Resseruction,Chou Dragon Ball Z)

Unofficial discussion thread-

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=135200

Edited by Biolink